Why do I keep getting logged out?

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
1badf350
Advanced Board Poster

Why do I keep getting logged out?

Post by 1badf350 »

This has been going on for a while but it is getting worse. I can check the box “log me in automatically each visit” but I still get logged out
It was a couple times a week but lately it’s been every day.
Anybody else having this problem?
-Chris R.
RonG
Super Board Poster

Re: Why do I keep getting logged out?

Post by RonG »

I've had no problem and it's been fine for a long time. I don't think it's the ORCA site, It's probably your browser. In your settings, you can delete all save logins, passwords, etc each time you close the browser. If you just had an update to your browser recently, You may have to go into your settings and check and set them to not log you out..
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

No problems for me, either. The only time I get logged out is if I do it on purpose, which is practically never, or if I clean out my cache.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

I get logged out every time I leave the site; but, Microsoft saves my password, so I just have to log back in with one click. I do not have to re-enter my user name and password.
mike cass,,, if you can't collect it, it must be food
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

m3040c wrote:I get logged out every time I leave the site; but, Microsoft saves my password, so I just have to log back in with one click. I do not have to re-enter my user name and password.
Mike,

If you check the box at the bottom of the page you can be automatically logged in each time you visit. No need to login unless you want it that way.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Not noticing any problem either.
Aloha
Brian F.
_________

ORCA Member 1997
Got a spare reel stamped "Pflueger" or a Montague Imperial?
"Caution, objects in reel view mirror are older than they appear."
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

If you check the box at the bottom of the page you can be automatically logged in each time you visit. No need to login unless you want it that way.
Thank you for the info; but, I am OK with it the way it is. I have very little faith in my computer selection skills. I will probably check the wrong box, cancel my membership and wind up on a terrorist watch list. :loco:
mike cass,,, if you can't collect it, it must be food
John Savu
Advanced Board Poster

Post by John Savu »

I have the same problem, happens all the time. Yes, I check the keep me logged in button, or whatever it says. It is annoying, but just an inconvenience. John :bash:
Harry Verdurchi
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Harry Verdurchi »

John Savu wrote:I have the same problem, happens all the time. Yes, I check the keep me logged in button, or whatever it says. It is annoying, but just an inconvenience. John :bash:
Me too!
Always have had this on this site .
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

The Reel Talk software is presently configured to allow indefinite "Persistent Logins", so it is not Reel Talk logging you out (at least as long as you have clicked the selection to stay logged in on the Login Screen, mentioned above). That setting has been in place "forever". During the same time period however, your devices, operating systems and browsers have probably changed multiple times. If you are not intentionally logging out then it is some security setting on your own device's browser software or operating system. Also, you may get logged out by updating your OS/browser, clearing cookies, etc. While RT security was generally upgraded to an https site, there may be aspects considered less secure by your browser. Check your browser security settings to see what it is allowing/not allowing in the realm of staying logged into a site. Just Google search your browser name and version plus "remember site passwords" to learn about the controls on your system and how they are set. Here are some general tips found on the internet (not verified for accuracy) https://smallbusiness.chron.com/set-com ... 55261.html:
Firefox
1. Click the "Firefox" menu in the upper-left corner of the screen, select "Options" and select "Options" again.
2. Click the Security tab and select "Remember Passwords for Sites."
3. Go to a website where you want to save your username and password data. Fill it in and log in. Firefox will show a prompt offering to remember the password. Click "Remember Password."
Chrome
1. Click the "Wrench" icon, select "Settings" and click the "Show Advanced Settings" link.
2. Choose "Offer to Save Passwords" to get a prompt each time you enter login data on a website.
3. Go to the website for which you want to save your data. Fill in your login information and log in to the website. While the page is loading, Chrome will provide a prompt to save your password data. Click "Save Password."
Internet Explorer
1. Click the "Settings" icon, which resembles a gear, and select "Internet Options."
2. Click the "Content" tab and select "Settings" under the AutoComplete section.
3. Select the "User Names and Passwords on Forms" check box. If you want Internet Explorer to prompt you before saving your password information, select "Ask Me Before Saving passwords."
4. Click "OK" in all windows to close Internet Options. When you log in to a website, a prompt along the bottom of the browser window will ask if you want to save your password.
Safari
1. Click the "Safari" menu and select "Preferences."
2. Click "Autofill" and select “User names and passwords.”
3. Save your preferences. When you fill in any login data on a website, Safari will prompt you to save your password information.

Tips
All major browsers also allow you to never remember a password for a specific website.
All major browsers also offer ways for you to clear your saved passwords. Some give you the option to change saved passwords.
Warning

Be careful when saving passwords on laptops. If your laptop should fall into the wrong hands, it could compromise your data.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Having the browser save a password doesn't prevent being logged out, though it makes life easier logging back in. Odds are that some browser security setting is deleting the ORCA site cookie(s) when the browser is closed or the computer shuts down. It may be a browser extension that blocks tracking cookies. Usually, you can eliminate the problem by playing with the security settings. I'm familiar with teaching Firefox what to do but not with other browsers.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
1badf350
Advanced Board Poster

Post by 1badf350 »

For the record I am using Safari. Ive managed to stay logged in since starting this thread LOL
-Chris R.
Harry Verdurchi
Advanced Board Poster

I think my problem is Hardware connected not Software or Coding since I have a very old Confuser that runs on Propane and the pilot light keeps going out.
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

I am using Safari 11.1.2 and it works fine. In Safari, the privacy settings manage the cookies for this site. Try this option:

Allow from websites I visit: Safari accepts cookies and website data only from websites you visit. Safari uses your existing cookies to determine whether you have visited a website before. Selecting this option helps prevent websites that have embedded content in other websites you browse from storing cookies and data on your Mac.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
Z3BigDaddy
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Z3BigDaddy »

What Matt said... Make sure accepting cookies is enabled.

WANTED!

WTB
These Reels! Finder Fee Paid.
1badf350
Advanced Board Poster

Post by 1badf350 »

If it were a cookie setting problem or whatever, would the log out problem occur on all the forums I use?
I’m asking because I have around a half dozen various forums and message boards I visit daily and this site is the only one having the log out issue.
-Chris R.
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

Chris,

Logically, if everything you reported is factual, the most likely explanation is that your browser or security software is rejecting the cookie that contains the login value. I checked your user settings and board settings to see if there is anything obvious. The only guess I could come up with is that our cookies are set to secure (https) and maybe your browser is rejecting the phpbb3 cookie for security reasons. But those reasons are a mystery. If you have any antivirus or cookie protection software (such as Symantec or Norton or other anti-malware software), you should check the console of that software to see if it is trying to protect you by flagging our cookie as potential malware. You could whitelist reeltalk.oracaonline.org, which is the domain that is sending the cookie that keeps you logged in.

If you really wanted to help us dig into it, you would need to go into developer mode on the browser and run a network trace and record the login sequence and the file and send it to me. That would be going above and beyond to solve a mystery, and I don't know if you want to fool with that or not.

Things have gotten complicated in the last couple of years due to hackers breaking the old SSL/TLS (https) protocol used for a long time. That is, it was discovered that some versions of TLS were able to be cracked, so most commercial companies upgraded to TLS version 1.2 to prevent that. But I am not sure what version of TLS Orca is running, and it may be that we are running a version (such as 1.0 or 1.1) that your browser rejects. I can look into that.

So in summary, it could be you, it could be us. But it is probably solvable.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
Harry Verdurchi
Advanced Board Poster

Try this
LOG OUT
Copy and paste this link to your Browser and
Log back in using this link
https://reeltalk.orcaonline.org/

Put it in your Bookmarks to use and or put shortcut to Desktop
Check the Box Log Me in Automatically Each Visit
Now when you leave the site Don't click log me out ,just close the page and You SHOULD be able to come back and be auto signed in .
This has worked for me for 4 Days now .
Last edited by Harry Verdurchi on Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1badf350
Advanced Board Poster

Post by 1badf350 »

I just had to log in again. I will check cookie settings again
-Chris R.