Tournament Caster

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Tournament Caster

Post by wrong99 »

Can anyone confirm that J.J. Tremain was a tournament caster in the late 1930's. VERY important. Thank you.
Mark
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Re: Tournament Caster

Post by wrong99 »

Anyone?
Reeltyme

Post by Reeltyme »

Mark, seems dumb to post this, I did check my recourses and found nothing! Just wanted to let you know that your shout out didn’t go unnoticed!
Good luck in your search.
Reeltyme
1badf350
Advanced Board Poster

Post by 1badf350 »

I spent an hour or so searching last night and came up empty
-Chris R.
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

FWIW I could not find anything about this on HathiTrust
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

I did a quick check also, nothing turned up. It would help if you can provide a city. There are at least fifty clubs, maybe a lot more. It doesn't appear he was a prominent national caster, but can't prove a negative. Do you have any context to add as to why it is important or what the reason is for searching?
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Thanks, guys. I recently acquired a Lyle L. Dickerson tournament casting rod that was built for a J.J. Tremain in 1939. The rod shaft is also inscribed for "3/8 oz. Accuracy Division", a competition that was part of many of bait casting tournaments of the day. I could not find any info on the person, although I swear I remember seeing his name online in the results of a certain old casting tournament. I just can't remember where or when that was, though. Subsequent efforts to find something online have turned up nothing. Dickerson himself was working out of Detroit at the time but, of course, had customers all over the country. The rod is quite valuable and I just wanted to connect some dots, if possible, to complete the rod's history.
Mark
colby sorrells
Super Board Poster

Post by colby sorrells »

Mark,
It appears it is very unusual that Dickerson made a casting rod. Most of the rods and information I've been able to find (there's a lot out there. One of the best sources is the AMFF that ran a three part story on him) are about him making fly rods not baitcasting rods. Doesn't mean he didn't make it, just not what he is known for. As previously mentioned being able to associate a city with the Tremain name would help. Fortunately his last name was not Smith! I'm still looking. As Matt mentioned if he was not on a national level in the casting events he is going to be very hard to run down through the casting records. I'm working more on the Tremain side instead of the casting tournament side.

The AMFF story states Dickerson only made about 1000 rods total in his lifetime.

Keepin' It Fun!

Colby
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Dickerson made several casting rods, as well as steelhead and salmon models. Not many, though. This is only the second casting rod I've ever seen or heard of from Dickerson in over 20 years. Thanks for the help. I know there isn't much to go on.
Mark
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Have you tried casting records for the Golden Gate Casting Club and there’s also a National Club with available records.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Yes, I tried Golden Gate, then found out there was something like 500 or more casting clubs across the country.