Pfleuger Progress 60 reel, found by a non fisherman.

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Majack
Big ORCA Fan

Pfleuger Progress 60 reel, found by a non fisherman.

Post by Majack »

I apologise for setting up a new topic when you have probably covered this many times but I have not been able to sort through all the previous posts to find all the answers to my quest. There are so many posts! I found a Pfleuger Progress 60 reel amongst all my father’s effects after he died. As far as I know our family have never had any association with the USA. Were the reels made/sold in England? My father, born in 1923, fished when his was a young man but never did after he married in 1951. He was unlikely to have been fly fishing either.
The reel is skeleton, zinc plated I think and has a wooden handle which was probably varnished or lacquered black originally as the last 1/4inch closest to the reel is that colour. It still has some old line on it which which looks to be a platted or twisted cotton which may have originally been black, brown or green since all those colours appear in the line. It must have been used but broken off as the reel is not full. The reel makes a ratchet sound when the line is pulled off but not much sound when it is wound back on. There is the words Pfleuger, Trade—mark, Progress, made in USA with a bulldog in the middle of the trademark word on one end of the foot thingy and 60 stamped on the middle of the other side of the foot thingy.
Now, the reason I am asking is I was looking for things that a friend of mine can photograph as she is in the middle of a 365 days of pictures and has run out of objects to photograph. She is extremely talented. I thought the reel would be interesting and different from her other objects. However it is a bit grubby so I should I clean it? Then I thought, some things should be left with their patina of age even if it is mostly dirt. Then I got interested in the reel itself. How old is it? Where did it come from? Did it belong to an uncle of my father’s who lived in Canada for a few years before my father was born? Does it have any value? I have only ever fished once and that was coarse fishing on holiday in Eire on one of their famous rivers. Despite being female I was the only one who caught anything that day, some little tiddlers, first time luck? I did enjoy it. I have some Mothers Mag and Aluminium Polish, cotton wool buds and cotton balls to use for cleaning which shouldn’t harm it but may take some time. I think the reel is rather beautiful compared to the more solid looking reels I’ve discovered whilst googling. I’m guessing it’s pretty commonplace and maybe unitarian when it was used. Can you help please?
Harry Verdurchi
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Pfleuger Progress 60 reel, found by a non fisherman.

Post by Harry Verdurchi »

Does it look like this?
Majack
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Majack »

Yes it does
Harry Verdurchi
Advanced Board Poster

I Think your reel was made in the late 40's however I would like to see some pictures of it especially the Foot where the Bulldog emblem is and are there any more numbers anywhere on the reel???
There are lots of people here with much more knowledge than I that can tell you more .
Majack
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Majack »

I don’t think there are any more numbers. I’ll sent photos tomorrow if that’s ok. It’s late here now, after 11 pm. Thanks.
Harry Verdurchi
Advanced Board Poster

Majack wrote:I don’t think there are any more numbers. I’ll sent photos tomorrow if that’s ok. It’s late here now, after 11 pm. Thanks.
You bet.
Probably some great history there if your Dad had it a long time.
I like the Description (Tiddlers ) on sizing your Catch :D
Majack
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Majack »

Here are photos. I haven’t found any more numbers but if you tell me where to look I can find a magnifying glass à la Sherlock H.

Hmm, I use an iPad and iPhone. Can’t seem to upload photos. Help please.
Majack
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Majack »

Majack
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Majack »

Should have found the instructions first! :cry: :oops:
Majack
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Majack »

sorry, missed the one you asked for. It’s lunchtime! Btw, we always call little fish tiddlers here. Well, my family always have. I’ve assumed everyone else does. Hope you are having a good breakfast.
Harry Verdurchi
Advanced Board Poster

Well it kinda looks like some Brass showing on the Foot and Maybe the outer casing which would make it earlier and worth more BUT if it is just metal then my first thoughts are good I think and have a value around 20 to 60 dollars depending on how bad someone wants it . The wood knob on the Crank is a good thing too.
Looks overall like a Good Reel to keep .
Hopefully someone will chime in with better news but I can't tell from the pix what metal it really is.
leland99
Advanced Board Poster

Post by leland99 »

My suggestion would be to not polish it with your mag and aluminum cleaner. To remove simple dust, dirt and dried oils or grease, just use an old toothbrush with dishwashing liquid, then wipe dry with microfibre cloth. This will make it look cleaner but maintain the nice patina these old reels have. Definitely a great subject for your photographer friend. Hope you are able to find more details on your family history with this reel. Bryce
Bryce Tawney
The Reel Packrat

Packing these reels into my nest hole: Talbot, Milam, Meek, Horton, Heddon, Wm Shakespeare Jr, and small diameter skeleton fly reels!
Majack
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Majack »

Thanks, I’ll try that. Just don’t want to get all that fishing line wet. It’s definately not brass. My Dad was a metal spinner so I grew up knowing metals :wink: What sort of fish can you catch using this reel? Are they still sold? I have assumed that it is a sort of utility reel that boys might have. Mary.
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

Best used on a pan fish or trout weight fly rod. I have a Progress just like that I use on a very light weight fly rod for bluegills and such. Better (and far more expensive) fly reels have a drag system to handle big, fast moving fish. That reel was not designed for that! Mostly for just handling line. It should last two days short of forever even with a lot of use. Tight lines!

Bad Bob
Skip
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Skip »

Majack wrote:Thanks, I’ll try that. Just don’t want to get all that fishing line wet. It’s definately not brass. My Dad was a metal spinner so I grew up knowing metals :wink: What sort of fish can you catch using this reel? Are they still sold? I have assumed that it is a sort of utility reel that boys might have. Mary.
Not knowing the conditions of the line I'm a bit hesitant but you should be able to remove the line and put it on an empty line spool or a card made from cardboard or wood.

It's a lightweight fly reel, so it's used on a fly rod to cast flies for smaller fish.