The Ashaway Slip Cast reel

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
kevinhaney1
Advanced Board Poster

The Ashaway Slip Cast reel

Post by kevinhaney1 »

I just acquired an Ashaway Slip Cast reel, which I understand is supposed to be used like a spincast reel. My question concerns the use of the funny thumb lever. If I had to guess, it looks like this probably stops the spool spinning so the drag can be employed, since it doesn't have an antireverse. Is that what it's for, or does it serve some other function?

Kevin

Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: The Ashaway Slip Cast reel

Post by Midway Tommy D »

I suppose you could try to use it that way but I doubt it would work very well. It's purpose is to hold the line during the casting motion. It takes a lot of practice to be proficient with it. :roll:
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
kevinhaney1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by kevinhaney1 »

Well, maybe that's why it was only produced for a very short time...

Kevin
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

You can read more about them over here.

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
kevinhaney1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by kevinhaney1 »

Thanks for the link Tommy! Would it be possible for you to email me that Ashaway instruction file so I could print it out?

Kevin
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

kevinhaney1 wrote:Thanks for the link Tommy! Would it be possible for you to email me that Ashaway instruction file so I could print it out?

Kevin
I upgraded my computer a couple of years ago and it didn't make it through the transition. You should, though, be able to open it and enlarge it in that window, or open it in another window, and then save it to file or print it.

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

The thumb-operated lever functions exactly like one's finger on the average open-face spinning reel. This was one of the first mass-produced spinning reels that were designed to sit in the reel seat of the casting rod that everyone already owned, rather than necessitate the purchase of a new spinning rod. Ashaway realy pushed the term "slip-cast" at a time when Americans had not yet made up their minds as to what this new method of fishing (ie spinning) was going to be called. The term "Thread line fishing" was also popular. It was expected that braided line would be used and Ashaway packaged the same braided nylon line on identical spools, labeling some "spinning" line and some "slip-cast" line.
I love to get old reels, work on them until they run as smooth as silk and the take them fishing using pre-1960 plugs, mostly surface fishing for Largemouths after dark.