Using a Mitchell 330 reel

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
kevinhaney1
Advanced Board Poster

Using a Mitchell 330 reel

Post by kevinhaney1 »

The concept of the automatic bail on the Mitchell 330 sounds interesting. I was wondering if anyone has fished with one and how it works in actual use? Does it make for a smoother cast or is it unwieldy in practice?

Kevin
Kevin Haney, Vintage Anglers
http://www.vintageanglers.com
Rook
Frequent Board Poster

Re: Using a Mitchell 330 reel

Post by Rook »

I have one of the 330's in my collection of old Mitchell reels. It's not hard to use at all. Personally I prefer standard type reels over the automatic but if you use one it won't take you long to get used to it.

kevinhaney1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by kevinhaney1 »

So would it be a fair assessment to say that the automatic bail was more marketing gimmick than useful advancement?

Kevin
Rook
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Rook »

No I wouldn't say it was a gimmick. It worked well for what it was designed to do which was leave one hand free for quicker casting. I'm just an old creature of habit and like the standard way better.
arley
Advanced Board Poster

Post by arley »

I see so many that are gummed/ dusted/ grimed up due to the exposed bail springs.
you can tune a piano,but you can't tuna fish.
kevinhaney1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by kevinhaney1 »

One last question. The bail lock button on mine doesn't seem to do anything. Is it supposed to lock the bail from moving at all? If so, mine must be broke.

Kevin
Rook
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Rook »

Yep, it locks it.
EggShapedReels
Big ORCA Fan

Post by EggShapedReels »

[quote="kevinhaney1"]The concept of the automatic bail on the Mitchell 330 sounds interesting. I was wondering if anyone has fished with one and how it works in actual use? Does it make for a smoother cast or is it unwieldy in practice?

Kevin,
I fished with them (Mitchell 330) back in the day and enjoyed doing so. Having said that I would also state that I did not use them for day in and day out fishing.
The way the 330 works is it has a special linkage on the bail mechanism. When the bail is closed, all you need do is push it down and it springs open. So in casting you use your index finger to push the bail in, as you bring the rod and lure back behind you. As you bring your arm forward, with your finger still holding the bail down, you raise your finger up which allows the bail to spring forward by itself allowing the line to peel off of the spool. After the lure hits the water you crank the handle and the bail closes, capturing the line and allowing you to reel the lure in. That's what is automatic.

Is it a smoother cast?....well depends on the caster. These reels were first marketed in Europe where they have casting "Matches". They were designed for the professional caster. Supposedly, you could cast much faster with this bail design.
Hope this helps.
Kind Regards,
Bill :cool