F. Vom Holfe and Son?

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
seareel
Frequent Board Poster

F. Vom Holfe and Son?

Post by seareel »

I bought a brass reel this week, and after looking at Ted Binghams' book "The Celebrated Reels of Edward vom Hofe", I would like to say that it is Friedrich Vom Hofe and Son reel, and with it being unmarked it appears to be trade reel. It has the number 63 stamped in two places on the interior of the reel. Does the number 63 mean the year they made the reel, as in 1863, or could it have a different meaning? I understand, by O.R.C.A search, it is a rare. I'm hoping I am right. Any information that could be provided would be very helpful and thank you in advance.

john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: F. Vom Holfe and Son?

Post by john elder »

The #63 in this case is just marking the parts as being matched to the same reel... no relation to age. Impossible to say who maker was, at least by me. Lore has it that as a Fred reel, the rear bearing cover would typically be removable. However, lots of research by Steve Vernon has revealed lots of consistent inconsistencies in such “hallmarks”. Great reel, regardless.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

Here's some photos of marked F. vom Hofe reels.

Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Many of the FVH & Son reels had square pillar nuts. Looks like Ron's 3rd pic shows them. Here's an example from another:

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."