Does anyone recognize this historic street?

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Jason
Super Board Poster

Does anyone recognize this historic street?

Post by Jason »

Does anyone recognize this historic street? Are any of the original tackle houses still standing? I didn't realize it was so close the World Trade Center.

Jason
Super Board Poster

Re: Does anyone recognize this historic street?

Post by Jason »

I would have loved to visit this corner in 1840.

Nick in NY
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Nick in NY »

Absolutely! I'm there every day....at the new site. My building is actually on Church St. Funny you should mention it only a year ago Tent and Trails closed down, talk about history! After Guiliani moved the Fulton fish market uptown the area's never really been the same. I do remember antique shop in the market area up untill 6 years ago. I found some great Hofe items in the shops. Then about 20 years ago there was a bar I believe on 14th called fish bait that had 100s of old nudes not to mention original cardboard cut outs from every manufacturer including Heddon and Shakespeare in the front window! As it turns out the owner of the bar purchased the tackle and cut outs from a Abercrombie and Fitch employee who purchased items for the store....long story! I got in contact with him later on and visited his stone home on the Island! Incredible! I do remember a cardboard barrel in the basement with about 100* fly rods that were tossed in after customers had broken a tip or guide! Just incredible! I think he wanted like $1000 at the time for the barrel had I known! That was some time ago......
Wanted Ultra rare salt water reels including big game as well as unknown rare surf reels!
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."