Kosmic Reel

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
rickv
Big ORCA Fan

Kosmic Reel

Post by rickv »

Hi All , new member. I’m looking at a mint Kosmic reel that is 1 7/8 not counting raised pillars and 1” wide spool for a 4wt line max. It comes with original leather case. Any idea of current value? It seems that this would be very collectible.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Kosmic Reel

Post by john elder »

They are, indeed! Does the case say Kosmic? Can you please post pics? Our board hosts or you can use your own host. I can post for you if you have difficulty ...just pm or email me and i’ll Send you my email address.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

By your description, it sounds like the one on Bob Summers website, which he describes in the same words.

Yes ?

Dean.
Wanted: Kosmic Items, Small Leather Fly Reel Cases, Early Fishing Related Bottles, Fly Reels and Pre-1900 Angling/Casting Medals.

http://www.tackletreasures.com/
rickv
Big ORCA Fan

Post by rickv »

Yes it is. Do you think it’s fairly priced?
rickv
Big ORCA Fan

Post by rickv »

BTW, just getting into the vintage reels. My only other old reel is a Dingley LHW caged spool in excellent condition that I bought from the late Gary Siemer.
Looking forward to learning more about what to collect and values through this forum. I appreciate all your input.
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

This is just one man's opinion ...

I think there is a reason the reel has sat on the site for a long time.

If I was going to to pay up for a "Kosmic" reel, I'd want "Kosmic" to be legible without magnification.

That's just me. Your mileage may vary.

The Dingley is a nice reel. Is it 3" ?

Dean.
Wanted: Kosmic Items, Small Leather Fly Reel Cases, Early Fishing Related Bottles, Fly Reels and Pre-1900 Angling/Casting Medals.

http://www.tackletreasures.com/
rickv
Big ORCA Fan

Post by rickv »

The Dingley is smaller, maybe 2 7/8. I use it on my PHY Midge. I think what you said about the Kosmic makes a lot of sense. The other thing I struggle with is the fact that all my tackle I buy I want to use. With collecting vintage reels it would be hard just to stare at them in a case but they may be to valuable to fish. BTW , I fish all my cane even if it’s original or restored so maybe I answered my own concern. Your thoughts?
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Rick, Dean is “Mr Kosmic” around here, so he’s the one to tell you about those reels and the history behind them. It’s quite a leap from a Dingley to the Kosmic...lots more great collector/fishable reels between these two. MHO is that Hardy reels are a “best” direction to go for some great historical and interesting reels to collect that are 100 years old or older and still ready to catch fish (thinking fly tackle). There are a lot more neat Dingleys out there to chase as well. Do you go after trout exclusively?

John
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
rickv
Big ORCA Fan

Post by rickv »

No, I like to fish the warm water species including carp . I have a few Hardy’s and just sold a St Aiden. It was too light and no drag for an 8wt reel. Have a couple of Perfects and Signature Charlton 8500 for 7 and 8 wts. and just acquired a near mint CFO 111 Screwback.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Do you go after carp on a fly? That must be a kick, if so. If not, there are many other classic Reel Worlds that await you outside of fly reels!

If you’re not the snooty type, you can’t hardly beat the Pflueger Medalists for an all-around good family of reels. They are not budget-busters, even if you step up for the older models and the range from the 1492- 1498 gives you a wide range of reels to handle about anything short of tarpon. I have several I Fish...particularly like the early round line guard models.

This one and others in that age group can be had for around $60 in new condition:

Or this one, with more collector value for $150-250:

Or this one...well, it's priceless...my favorite Rat Reel:

ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

rickv
Big ORCA Fan

Post by rickv »

Those are beautiful. I acquired a 1494 that was completely redone by one foot?

Anyways the reel is very attractive, but when I wind there is a very grinding intermittent grinding click. I have never heard this before and it completely ruins the reel in my opinion. I don’t know if anybody else experienced this after a complete redo by one foot. The line tensioner acts as a good drag which is great.
I really likes the looks of the Bulldog and Gem.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Spool is probably tweeked...I don’t believe the one-pfoot upgrades should cause it. If you want me to look at it, pm me and I can give you my address.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Got your PM, Rick and sent one back...you will see a “new messages” clickable at upper left of the board.

J
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member