Manufacture of Billinghurst Reels

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
David Lehmann
Advanced Board Poster

Manufacture of Billinghurst Reels

Post by David Lehmann »

While trying to learn a little bit about an early NY lure manufacturer, James Ratcliffe, I stumbled across this info from an 1881 Rochester directory:
"...In many respects, the establishment of Mr. Ratcliffe is unique, in so far as the stock carried is of considerable extent, and embraces certain lines of goods not procurable elsewhere. This statement is particularly, true with regard to the celebrated Billinghurst Patent Reel, of which the sole and exclusive right to manufacture is vested in Mr. Ratcliffe. On the corner of Main and Water streets is located the factory where these goods are made to supply a demand from all parts of the country, this reel being universally regarded by accomplished anglers as the best extant.

The factory, since turn down, was located just above the lower falls of the Genesee River. Ratcliffe reportedly started his retail business and factory in 1868, so this would not have been the original manufacturer of the reels. Still, pretty cool.
Steve
Star Board Poster

Re: Manufacture of Billinghurst Reels

Post by Steve »

Oh, that Ratcliffe. Good find!

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

Hey Dave,

This finding is interesting and all new to me. Maybe Jim knows more details. That's one of the things that make this hobby so fun. We seem to learn more and more about these historical reel makers.
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Thanks for sharing that, David! Great research find.

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

By sheer coincidence, a J. Ratcliffe spinner made in Rochester, NY was offered and sold on Joe’s board today.

http://www.joesoldlures.com/wwwboard/me ... 29450.html
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
David Lehmann
Advanced Board Poster

Post by David Lehmann »

Not to sheer. ;-) When I lived in Rochester, Ratcliffe spinners showed up from time to time--but way less frequently than most other early metal, like Chapman or McHarg. Living in Texas, I don't get an opportunity to acquire these anymore. I like having a small variety of early metal lures to compliment period reels.

Ratcliffe ran what appears to have been the preeminent sporting goods shop in Rochester, NY but seemed to have had bad luck with his selection of shop location in the growing city. He had to move his shop three times in ten years, as his shop locations were included in parcels that were selected to clear and construct new buildings. Ratcliffe also hobnobbed with the elite in the sportfishing world, serving on the board of a sportsmen's society with Seth Green (fisheries visionary) and Alonzo Fowler (reel innovator). Ratcliffe was also a shooting sports patron, providing prizes for a number of well-publicized sharp-shooting tournaments in the Northeast and Midwest.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

David,

Could you share a couple of photos of some Ratcliffe spinners? Some of us have never had the opportunity to see one.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
David Lehmann
Advanced Board Poster

Post by David Lehmann »

Jim Schottenham
Super Board Poster

Post by Jim Schottenham »

Awesome Dave :bow: - you may have identified the maker of the Matthews and Clark & Horrocks reels. With William passing in March 1880, and having a fairly good stock of reels in his shop (see the 2004 issue of the Reel News for details) when he passed, I see no reason to think Billinghurst wasn't making his namesake reels up to the time of his death. The above makes me think Mr. Ratcliffe either obtained the parts from the shop or modified Billinghurst's design just a bit (not really necessary since the original patent and patent extension expired in 1880 anyway) to his own specs, selling the now unmarked reels to numerous tackle houses. The differences are pointed out here. Just my thoughts mind you, jumbled as they are!
Jim Schottenham
ORCA Honorary member
www.SideMountReels.com
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

That's good info Jim. You're continuing to add to the Billinghurst story.
colby sorrells
Super Board Poster

Post by colby sorrells »

Love that history Guys. Fun stuff.

Colby
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Post by reeltackle »

Billinghurst history runs deep and has many twists and turns whose directions aren't always clear. Billinghurst, Ratcliffe and Seth Green were all involved. Billinghurst's role seems pretty clear but I hope you guys can dig up more about Ratcliffe and Green.

Ed Pritchard
http://www.AntiqueFishingReels.com
ORCA Charter Member "First Paid Member"
Honorary Life Member

"Reels As Big As Your Head" Always looking for BIG game reels and anything else that might go along.
David Lehmann
Advanced Board Poster

Post by David Lehmann »

Jim,
That makes sense. It seems likely that Ratcliffe took over Billinghurst's factory at 41 E Main St, the corner of Main and Water streets. The Main and Water street location is also the location described for Ratcliffe's 1881 factory. Ratcliffe's first retail shop in 1868 was apparently also the location of a previous similar business: Edward Heylyn's fishing tackle shop, which had been established in the late 1850s or very early 1860s. As a side-note, this was a remarkably early fishing tackle shop (only advertised fishing, and no other sporting, gear).

It is conceivable/likely that Ratcliffe may have been producing lures and flies for Heylyn's shop. Joe Stagnitti indicate that he acquired fishing tackle that belonged to a George Eastman's father, who had died in 1864. Joe believes that the tackle had been stored intact after the elder Eastman's death. It contains marked Ratcliffe spinners. If Ratcliffe did make these lures prior to 1864, he was one of the earliest commercial fishing lure manufacturers, possibly even predating W D Chapman.

Ratcliffe served on the board of a sportsmen's club with Alonzo Fowler (fly reel innovator) and Seth Green (fishing breeding innovator), but at separate times.