Information needed on REDIFOR MODEL A REEL...

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
John Savu
Advanced Board Poster

Information needed on REDIFOR MODEL A REEL...

Post by John Savu »

Looking for any information on this 1904 Redifor reel. If you have seen anything in print mentioning this reel, or if you have any info at all, I would appreciate the help. The reel differs from the Model B and Model C Redifors, by having the free spool activator button, on the face plate. THANKS John
RonG
Super Board Poster

Re: Information needed on REDIFOR MODEL A REEL...

Post by RonG »

Hey John,

I hadn't seen this version yet. Maybe there's one out there. The picture looks like what George Upton's 1906 patent would look like if incorporated. Info about Upton's 1906 patent is covered in Steve's book.
John Savu
Advanced Board Poster

Post by John Savu »

Still looking !!
John Savu
Advanced Board Poster

Post by John Savu »

If you have ever seen anything in print, or have heard of one existing, please let me know. John
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

John, your picture trail link is bad. Would prefer people upload pics to this board so that pics are preserved for history. In any case, no one viewing this post now would be able to see what you are seeking.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

Here's what we think is the Model A. The photo appears in an article in the British Magazine "The Fishing Gazette" in the November 12,1904 issue. Graham Turner thinks he has found this reel and wrote an article about it in The Reel News last year. It's from the Walter Durfee Coggeshall tackle collection who was in possession of the reel in 1904. This is the only picture of the reel that I know of.

If you want a pdf copy of the entire article and Redifor circular, let me know and I'll email it to you.
Stef Duma
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Stef Duma »

Interesting that the reel is now being offered for auction at Angling Auctions.

https://anglingauctions.com/lots/205-an ... ting-reel/

I had a phone call today and was asked if I knew anything about it and I told him about the article on Coggeshall in the ORCA magazine.

I have more than 60 volumes of the Fishing Gazette and recall the article in there in 1904.

I did wonder why GT did the article and now I know why.
John Savu
Advanced Board Poster

Post by John Savu »

Hello Stefan, The reel being offered at auction is a Model "B", not the elusive Model "A", that Ron posted the picture of. Both styles of reels were referred to as THE REDIFOR REEL in the early catalogs, the "A" and "B" designations were used later. John
Shellbelly
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Shellbelly »

It's interesting to read about how much the "ugly crank-balanced handle" was despised by the British. Was it considered an unfair advantage or was it merely resistance to a change in traditional design?
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

a change in traditional design?
19th-century books from both sides of the Atlantic are packed with pro and con arguments about counterbalanced cranks.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
Stef Duma
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Stef Duma »

John Savu wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:15 pm Hello Stefan, The reel being offered at auction is a Model "B", not the elusive Model "A", that Ron posted the picture of. Both styles of reels were referred to as THE REDIFOR REEL in the early catalogs, the "A" and "B" designations were used later. John
Thank you John.

I have to say that this is only the second Redifor reel I have ever seen at auction in the UK. I did buy one more than 25 years ago at a tackle show in France and I did see one once at the European show. Theses were I believe later models.

I guess the search goes on!
Stef Duma
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Stef Duma »

Steve wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:04 pm
a change in traditional design?
19th-century books from both sides of the Atlantic are packed with pro and con arguments about counterbalanced cranks.
Steve there are indeed and I have to wonder why some people were obsessed with the idea, almost fanatical in some cases. As for the multiplying reel, tempers did fray when discussing it.
Stef Duma
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Stef Duma »

Shellbelly wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:16 pm It's interesting to read about how much the "ugly crank-balanced handle" was despised by the British. Was it considered an unfair advantage or was it merely resistance to a change in traditional design?
In all honesty I have no idea why. What I can say is that some people were excessive in their criticisms of various items method etc.

I am following a series of letters written to the Fishing Gazette regarding the position of the little finger when casting from the reel. Tempers were frayed with the editor having the final say and closing the matter. This happened so many times with so many topics.

All that built up testosterone needed an outlet.
Shellbelly
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Shellbelly »

Ironic that the very outlet they pursued was sometimes overcome by obsessions over form and decorum. They could have just gone fishing.
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

Steve wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:04 pm 19th-century books from both sides of the Atlantic are packed with pro and con arguments about counterbalanced cranks.
I would like to see an article or more info on this topic. I always thought it was an obvious innovation, and don't really understand the logic for non-counterbalance, other than it was harder to backlash perhaps.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

more info on this topic
Matt, as shown on pg. 75 of my book:

"By the aid of the balance-handle...reels have been made to run with so little friction, that the motion imparted by a whirl of the crank, with the hand, causes the spool to revolve for two minutes."
―Thaddeus Norris, 1864

"The balance-handle is a delusion and a snare."
―James A. Henshall, 1904

Just about every post-1830ish book in English that discusses tackle has something to say about the topic. The nice thing is that using online versions of the books makes it possible to search. Those who were forced to use silverfish-edible books actually had to read stuff to find info on desired topics.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
Shellbelly
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Shellbelly »

Indeed. And I had to learn to shift gears, wrap a pull rope around a spindle to start a lawnmower, use a sling cutter for tall weeds and Neptune forbid, use and un-jam a manual typewriter. I want reparations, man!!

I doubt that anyone with a passion for knowledge is truly "forced" to take the paths available and necessary to gain it. You willingly put yourself upon it and obtain it to your satisfaction.

The 21'st century offers paths of less resistance that some have yet to come to terms with....just like the venerable "ugly crank handle" inventors likely endured from detractors who never had such ghastly fittings on their reels.
Stef Duma
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Stef Duma »

How does the $3000 -$4000 estimate stack up against recent sales in USA?