Found a pretty nice Mitchell 300 C

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Rook
Frequent Board Poster

Found a pretty nice Mitchell 300 C

Post by Rook »

I found a pretty nice Mitchell 300 C for my Mitchell collection the other day. Since there was only 271,270 of the C's made compared to over 13 million of the regular 300's, I find it hard to find a nice one. They were made from 1968 to 1985.

This one reels smoother than any Mitchell I've ever owned and I've not even cleaned and greased it yet. I have several other models that have bearings like this 300 C such as the 410 and 440 but this one is smoother reeling.

spadej1
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Found a pretty nice Mitchell 300 C

Post by spadej1 »

Nice one Rook. I usually go for the earlier ones but there are some of these that are really nice reels.
-James-
New to reel collecting so bear with me please. I like reel deals!
EggShapedReels
Big ORCA Fan

Post by EggShapedReels »

Rook,
Just curious, what is the serial number?
Kind Regards,
Bill :cool
CornellM
Big ORCA Fan

Post by CornellM »

Very nice! Is the reel completely functional?
EggShapedReels
Big ORCA Fan

Post by EggShapedReels »

Rook,
Since you mention you are a collector you might want to consider replacing the bail. The bail for the second version 300C reels was a new design and used a roller for the line guide instead of the older friction line guide. I can't tell by the photo but there should be a dust cap covering the drive gear axle housing as well. These parts are not that hard to find and will be easy to swap out making your reel even better.
Kind Regards,
Rook
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Rook »

EggShapedReels wrote:Rook,
Since you mention you are a collector you might want to consider replacing the bail. The bail for the second version 300C reels was a new design and used a roller for the line guide instead of the older friction line guide. I can't tell by the photo but there should be a dust cap covering the drive gear axle housing as well. These parts are not that hard to find and will be easy to swap out making your reel even better.
Kind Regards,
I guess hoarder would be a closer description instead of collector for me. There's none of my reels that I won't use. Just like my gun collection, I hate safe queens. I'm not saving my stuff for someone else to use after I'm gone. If anyone's going to use it it's going to be me.

I personally like the older bail with the fixed carbon steel guide better than the roller type and my 300 C has the dust cover.

Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Nice group of Mitchells! :cool
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027