NEW Collector Guide to Ocean City Reels BOOK!

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

NEW Collector Guide to Ocean City Reels BOOK!

Post by Teal »

The long awaited new book from Mike Cacioppo is finally ready! The history of Ocean City's many reels has finally been uncovered!

The Ocean City Manufacturing Company was one of the largest and most successful fishing reel makers in the middle half of the twentieth century. Purveyors of economically priced and durable reels, the company was also innovative and was the training ground for Otto Henze, the founder of Penn Reels. In this definitive study of Ocean City reels, noted reel historian Mike Cacioppo has outlined the growth and development of the entire Ocean City line of reels, from the first saltwater model in 1922 until the sale of the company to True Temper in 1957. This study covers saltwater reels, Big Game reels, baitcasters, fly reels, and open and closed face spinning reels. In addition to a chronological history, there is a detailed year by year summary of all catalogued Ocean City reels. From the most humble utility reel to the Big Game Balboa, this books is the final word on Ocean City and their fascinating and largely forgotten line of fishing reels.

Click here to read more and to order a copy:

http://whitefishpress.com/bookdetail/249

-- Dr. Todd
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Re: NEW Collector Guide to Ocean City Reels BOOK!

Post by m3040c »

This work was completed over two years ago. Much time and effort went into this book. I feel I am in a world of very astute collectors here in the ORCA world. Many of you will be familiar with much of the content. The first six chapter of the book were published as articles in the Reel News a couple of years ago. No matter how many of the member have personal knowledge about Ocean City, I still believe there is material here that even the most knowledgeable Ocean City collector will find new and maybe even profound. One of my favorite chapters is the chapter about Ocean City spinning reels and their beginnings and evolution. I had help from many members putting this work together and of course Dr. Todd enabled the finished product. We worked to keep the price on these first release issues as fair as possible without sacrificing any of the content. I hope all those that buy a copy truly enjoy the work and thank all in advance for your purchase of this book.
mike cass,,, if you can't collect it, it must be food
Reeltyme

Post by Reeltyme »

Just ordered my copy! Anxious to get it!
Thanks for your hard work!
butch carey key west
Advanced Board Poster

Post by butch carey key west »

Mike
Looking forward to reading
Butch
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

A long time in the birthing, but well worth the wait! Another great effort, Mike....thanks much for your diligence and thanks to Dr. Todd for making it happen!

John
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

Thanks guys.

You are correct JE, this was a long time. Many bumps along the way. Life keeps getting in the way of the fun.
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

m3040c wrote:Thanks guys.

You are correct JE, this was a long time. Many bumps along the way. Life keeps getting in the way of the fun.
Congratulations. Very cool to preserve all that knowledge in a book that will be around generations from now. Well done, indeed.

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

Congratulations. Very cool to preserve all that knowledge in a book that will be around generations from now. Well done, indeed.

Mike N
That was the reason. I have always felt that Ocean City Mfg. Company gets overlooked in the world of collectors. There is a very rich and diverse history about Ocean City reels. For years I wanted to buy a book about this great old brand. There are none, now there will be this one. Ocean City deserved a book. Appreciate the kinds words. Hope who ever decides to get this work enjoys it.
Reeltyme

Post by Reeltyme »

Folks, I just received my copy today! The initial “thumb through” indicates ANOTHER home run by the amazing MICHAEL! Several sections I am anxious to dig into! If you didn’t order it yet, don’t wait!
Reeltyme
Randy McConnell
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

olks, I just received my copy today! The initial “thumb through” indicates ANOTHER home run by the amazing MICHAEL! Several sections I am anxious to dig into! If you didn’t order it yet, don’t wait!
Reeltyme
Randy McConnell
Thanks Randy!!