Interesting Tournament Reel

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
RonG
Super Board Poster

Interesting Tournament Reel

Post by RonG »

Thanks to the wonderful reel offerings in the last Lang's Auction, I was fortunate to acquire an interesting Warren, OH Redifor Tournament reel. The narrow spool within a wider arbor guide intrigued me. Upon disassembly (left hand thread on the spool axle by the way), the features of the reel positively identified it as made by Redifor including their patented free spool mechanism. Please see photos below. A point of interest was that while initially inspecting the reel, I noticed that it sometimes did not function properly. After it was taken apart, I found a ball of what I thought was hair entangled in the works. It's either spider tournament casting line or someone got their hair caught up in the spool. See photos below.

Mike N
Star Board Poster

Re: Interesting Tournament Reel

Post by Mike N »

Very cool reel, Ron. And let’s hope that tangle was fine spider casting line, because the alternative makes me say “ouch.”

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
colby sorrells
Super Board Poster

Post by colby sorrells »

Very interesting reel. Glad you got it. Fun stuff!!

Colby
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Neat reel, Ron! Congrats! Can you walk us through how the reel works? Does the gear on the spindle push in to engage the main gear when you want to retrieve line?
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

Turn the crank handle backward and the pinion gear disengages the drive gear

Turn the crack handle forward and the pinion engages the drive gear.

All of these aluminum Redifor reels have the same free spool mechanism.

John Savu
Advanced Board Poster

Post by John Savu »

Very nice grouping !! I always marveled at the REDIFOR Free Spool Reels, the Model D and the Tournament variations. In the REDIFOR advertising, it states, "NOTHING TO TOUCH_the Cast Frees the Spool". You simply make your cast and reel in, no buttons or levers to operate, no need to partially turn the handle. On the earlier REDIFOR Reels, Models A, B, and C, it was necessary to activate a button/slide to put the reel into free spool. Thanks for posting Ron. John