A couple of estate sale finds...

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Rook
Frequent Board Poster

A couple of estate sale finds...

Post by Rook »

I found a couple of reels at an estate sale today. One of them is not something I collect but it was so cheap I bought it anyway since it had the box with it.

There's no name on it other than "made in U.S.A.". It doesn't appear to be all that well made but it is made in the USA. The parts are stamped metal parts that are riveted together instead of screwed. Anybody know what it is?

The box says..."One single action, black gun metal finish, Fishing Reel, No. 80, 80 yrds."

The other reel I found was another old Mitchell 300 pre-Garcia that I've always got an eye out for when I'm at an estate sale. It's in really good shape. They had a price tag for $8 on it so I couldn't pass it up.

The only thing wrong with it was the bail wouldn't flip over. I just pushed the bail tripper tang down that's on the baffle plate and it works perfect. Somebody probably couldn't fix it and quit using it years ago is the reason it's still in such good condition. The serial no. on it is 1,464,950 which was on the housing.

Last edited by Rook on Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: A couple of estate sale finds...

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Nice finds!
The other reel I found was another old Mitchell 300 pre-Garcia that I've always got an eye out for when I'm at an estate sale.
It's actually not "pre-Garcia". It's pre "Garcia" engraved and probably from around sometime in 1957. If it came to the USA it would have had a yellow oval-arched "a garcia product" sticker above the handle. If it was sold in Europe it wouldn't have had a sticker, just the engraving. About that same time Garcia was starting to be engraved on the side.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
EggShapedReels
Big ORCA Fan

Post by EggShapedReels »

Midway Tommy D wrote:Nice finds!
The other reel I found was another old Mitchell 300 pre-Garcia that I've always got an eye out for when I'm at an estate sale.
It's actually not "pre-Garcia". It's pre "Garcia" engraved and probably from around sometime in 1957. If it came to the USA it would have had a yellow oval-arched "a garcia product" sticker above the handle. If it was sold in Europe it wouldn't have had a sticker, just the engraving. About that same time Garcia was starting to be engraved on the side.
Good point Tom, Garcia had been involved with Mitchell reels since the late 40's. Many auction sellers refer to "pre-Garcia" reels and people erroneously think they mean before Garcia was involved with Mitchell.

Personally, I would date serial number 1464950 as 1956. :beer

Kind Regards,
Bill :cool
kevinhaney1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by kevinhaney1 »

The fly reel looks like a knock off of a Pflueger Progress.
Kevin Haney, Vintage Anglers
http://www.vintageanglers.com
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

I believe the fly reel was produced by Union Hardware as a Trade reel during the late 20's and 30's. Same as the No.155-1/2 model from their regular lineup. Supplied to numerous retailers. I've seen a few of these with their generic boxes.
Mark
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

EggShapedReels wrote:
Midway Tommy D wrote:Nice finds!
Good point Tom, Garcia had been involved with Mitchell reels since the late 40's. Many auction sellers refer to "pre-Garcia" reels and people erroneously think they mean before Garcia was involved with Mitchell.

Personally, I would date serial number 1464950 as 1956. :beer

Kind Regards,
Exact manufacture dates on many of the early Mitchells is difficult, at best, to pin point exactly, but here's some dating info from the Gallery on Wallace's "our board.org" site. Quote:

"The 5th version main determining factor was that the model number is now engraved as “Mitchell 3-0-0 or 3-0-1” on the cover plate. The one shown in pictures 1 - 6 is a very nice European 5th version with serial number is 1917641 and from the sticker on the box, this one was not to be exported from France. The serial number and box style dates this reel back to 1958/59 which was during the same time Garcia’s name (6th Version) started being engraved on reels. All 5th versions will have serial numbers starting in the 620000 range (mid-fifties) up to serial number range 1800000 (1958/59) for both Garcia and European versions and up to serial number range 7900000 (1967/1968) for European models.

The one shown in pictures 7 - 12 is a Garcia distributed 5th version Mitchell 3-0-1 with serial number 876756 which dates this reel 1955/56. This was issued just as Charles Garcia changed their name to The Garcia Corporation. It's also among the last of the inverted cover plate. Soon after, this upside-down plate was corrected to right side up when held on a rod. You will also see this is also at the same time when the price went from $29.95 to $32.50. People ask how we know dates of these reels; we know by when certain documented proof is discovered. You just learned two..."

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

It’s so nice to see a civil discourse about the Mitchell reels! :D ....keep ‘em coming, guys...great info!

Mark, what finish do you think that presumed Union Hardware reel might have, once the Schmutz is removed? Is it suppose to be a nickel silver finish or is it black? I guess the best thing to start a cleanup would be soap and water to see where it’s at. Regardless, it will likely clean to better.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Hard to tell from the photos under what looks like amber light, but Union Hardware offered the 60 and 80-yard models in both nickel and gun metal finish. I'm "guessing" this example is gun metal?
Mark
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

I used my first paycheck from my summer job after junior year of high school in 1974 to buy a Mitchell 330 with an “automatic bail” that flipped to cast on touch. I bought a Berkeley “cherrywood” spin casting rod to mount it on. I still have that reel hanging above my workbench. I still love those 300 series Mitchell reels.

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Rook
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Rook »

wrong99 wrote:Hard to tell from the photos under what looks like amber light, but Union Hardware offered the 60 and 80-yard models in both nickel and gun metal finish. I'm "guessing" this example is gun metal?
Mark
Sorry about the crappy yellow pictures. Maybe these will help. The box says "black gun metal finish".

charleyb
Frequent Board Poster

Post by charleyb »

Hello, I have an exact duplicate to the pictured reel in 'black' or 'Gunmetal' finish. There's a tag on it that says "H-I Featherlite early '50's". It has been some time since I did any 'work' on my reels; the hand-writing on the tag is mine so I must have found info somewhere or someone 'told me so' - can't remember (no box).
I have another reel, same finish and same ID on a tag but there are slight differences between the two; in my opinion, the duplicate is 'blued' and the near-duplicate is painted, the stamped 'MADE IN U.S.A.' on the foot was done with different tooling, among other things.
If photos might be in order, let me know and I'll try to get those as soon as I get some time.
Best regards, Charley
EggShapedReels
Big ORCA Fan

Post by EggShapedReels »

Exact manufacture dates on many of the early Mitchells is difficult, at best, to pin point exactly, but here's some dating info from the Gallery on Wallace's "our board.org" site. Quote:

"The 5th version main determining factor was that the model number is now engraved as “Mitchell 3-0-0 or 3-0-1” on the cover plate. The one shown in pictures 1 - 6 is a very nice European 5th version with serial number is 1917641 and from the sticker on the box, this one was not to be exported from France. The serial number and box style dates this reel back to 1958/59 which was during the same time Garcia’s name (6th Version) started being engraved on reels. All 5th versions will have serial numbers starting in the 620000 range (mid-fifties) up to serial number range 1800000 (1958/59) for both Garcia and European versions and up to serial number range 7900000 (1967/1968) for European models.

The one shown in pictures 7 - 12 is a Garcia distributed 5th version Mitchell 3-0-1 with serial number 876756 which dates this reel 1955/56. This was issued just as Charles Garcia changed their name to The Garcia Corporation. It's also among the last of the inverted cover plate. Soon after, this upside-down plate was corrected to right side up when held on a rod. You will also see this is also at the same time when the price went from $29.95 to $32.50. People ask how we know dates of these reels; we know by when certain documented proof is discovered. You just learned two..."[/quote]

Tom,
Isn't it great what Wallace Carney has given Mitchell reel collectors! Thanks for posting a quote from the original website which many collectors may not be aware of.

You can also go to the new, revised, and expanded website below which is now back on-line. :yay

http://www.mitchellreelmuseum.com/forum/

If you would like to read more about dating Mitchell 300 model reels you can go to:
http://www.mitchellreelmuseum.com/forum ... 4e17c37944
(Scroll down until you see CDSAND7640 (s) post with a lot more information.)

You will not be able to view Wallace's "Mitchell Fishing Reel Dating Guide" at this time as the web site is not back up to 100%. Remember this is for the Mitchell 300 models as I pointed out in an earlier post.

Note: Fifth version Mitchell 300 reels are dated as follows in Wallace Carney's "Mitchell Fishing Reel Dating Guide":
1955 – SN 624001 to 1004270
1956 – SN 1040182 to 1517887
1957 – SN 1520736 to 1883288

It's now fairly easy to look up and date the Mitchell 300 models using Wallace's Guide. :jump:
Kind Regards,
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Looks like is was probably manufactured in fairly late 1956. Most of the time when I think about a reel's circa I think of when they went out to the retail market unless they have the year as part of their number like ABU did with the Cardinals. That's mainly because a lot of reels were made or advertised in one year but not shipped or sold until the next. It's just a weird oddity I picked up way back when I first started collecting. I've always questioned, though, the accuracy of the Mitchell serial number dating charts given the large gaps between the end of one year and the beginning of the next. :-?

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027