Fishing Reel Theft in Charlotte, NC

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
RonG
Super Board Poster

Fishing Reel Theft in Charlotte, NC

Post by RonG »

Jerry Kornsey of Charlotte, NC posted this note on Joe's Board. If you have any info, please contact him.

Unfortunately I wanted to let you all know that on Friday 11/22/2019 my home was broken into and several items were taken.
I've asked Joe for permission to post this message.
I am a Vom Hofe reel collector and eighteen (18) Vom Hofe reels were taken. In addition twelve Meek reels, two Talbots and multiple brass reels were taken. Furthermore, a grey Orvis bag containing my modern day fly reels, including Abel, Orvis and several more.
Probably the most unique reel that was taken from me was a very rare Edward Vom Hofe 2/0 that had the name "FA Schermerhorn" engraved on the reel. It also had "'87" engraved on the side.
I'm asking for anyone's help that see's this reel or a grouping of these reels for sale. I am in Charlotte, North Carolina. As you can imagine I'm devastated my this loss and any help would be deeply appreciated.
Thank You.
Jerry Kornsey (803) 236 7497
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Re: Fishing Reel Theft in Charlotte, NC

Post by wrong99 »

My heart sank when I read this. I can't even imagine. Here's hoping the reel collecting community is able to help recover your loss.
Mark
Harry Verdurchi
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Harry Verdurchi »

IF that's all they took then it is probably someone they know or have spoken to recently , even Family members or their crackhead friends!!!
If they are not just looking for some dope money then you may never find them .
First thing to do since this apparently happened a few days ago would be to take this post down and just P/M the members here that have the resources to afford these reels and let them P/M others and contact their associates in the collecting world and HOPE the Bastards come here looking for buyers with their 1st post of Glad I found this Neat site oh by the way I have a bunch of kawaski or some kind reels for sale.
Silence is golden in cases like this and be on the lookout on Craig's List and e-bay for new posts and contact local pawn shops .
Hope to heck they are stupid enough to start trying to sell them on the media.
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Yes, it's rather disturbing that all they took was vintage tackle.
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

We really need some photos, serial numbers etc. to be able to identify these items as stolen property if offered on eBay or as a walk-in at a show. The collector field of people who would be interested in buying such items is (relatively) small and I hope ORCA can help. Thanks for posting this, Ron.

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Chuck Gano
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Chuck Gano »

this is happening more often then you think,one theory i have is facebook you are an ez target if your on social media and show nice stuff in your collection, a coin collector friend of mine thinks his coins were stolen because of his posts on fb, they were away at the time and had mentioned that in a post also, got to be careful these days the internet can be a scary place sometimes, so sorry for your loss i hope they catch the thief and you recover your reels.
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

If you don’t have exterior home surveillance camera’s with off-site data storage, now is a good time to consider them. Burglar alarms are great, but the thieves are long gone by the time the police or security company arrive. Cameras let you understand how the burglary occurred. Ask any police detective how many crimes are solved by neighborhood and residence surveillance cameras.

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

I agree with Henry that friends and/or family can surely be suspect. People like to brag and it only takes one boast in the wrong environment to quickly get around. I also think social media and the internet can be instigators. Nothing is sacred anymore. Between people search, white pages, etc. and Google Maps one's exact address & l home location takes less than 5 minutes to pinpoint. Sad thing is, there's really no way to eliminate one's self from that exposure! :bash:
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

A few years ago I had someone take several reels. I alerted the police and took photos and descriptions to all the local pawn shops. I suspected one of the cleaning ladies whose boyfriend had a drug problem. I also let the cleaning ladies know that if they showed up there would be no questions asked. about a week later the reels reappeared.
I will keep an eye out.
Don Champion - Salisbury, NC
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

So sorry to hear about this, Jerry.
Mike N wrote:We really need some photos, serial numbers etc. to be able to identify these items as stolen property if offered on eBay or as a walk-in at a show.
This is some good information:
Probably the most unique reel that was taken from me was a very rare Edward Vom Hofe 2/0 that had the name "FA Schermerhorn" engraved on the reel. It also had "'87" engraved on the side
Aloha
Brian F.
_________

ORCA Member 1997
Got a spare reel stamped "Pflueger" or a Montague Imperial?
"Caution, objects in reel view mirror are older than they appear."
GLD56
Big ORCA Fan

Post by GLD56 »

I'm a member of a Vintage Sporting Goods site. Like everybody I occasionally post one of my finds but don't normally go overboard, so to speak. A few weeks ago a member posted pics of his large lever action collection and stated 75 cleaned so far, 125 to go. I wanted to say, "Hey Buddy, you don't have any idea who might be seeing this." but I refrained. And by the way, most of the time valuable stuff is taken, its taken by people who sell it for pennies on the dollar and when it's located later by then it's usually made it into the hands of some poor schmuck collector who bought it for the good deal and they usually get nailed and lose it when they show it around and they find out the good deal they got wasn't such a good deal.