Does anyone have a Luxor Supreme?

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
kevinhaney1
Advanced Board Poster

Does anyone have a Luxor Supreme?

Post by kevinhaney1 »

I just received a nice Luxor Supreme Model 2R today but am having trouble figuring out this wacky French engineering. Does anyone know how to get the spool off? I unscrewed the screw that is on the spool, but the drag knob doesn't seem to come off. It just turns around and around. Any help would be appreciated. :oops:

Kevin
Kevin Haney, Vintage Anglers
http://www.vintageanglers.com
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: Does anyone have a Luxor Supreme?

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Kevin,

It has a quick removal feature so that you don't have to change the drag settings. Make sure the pins line up with the slots in the spool and just pull it straight out the front.

Last edited by Midway Tommy D on Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
kevinhaney1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by kevinhaney1 »

Thanks Tom, I appreciate the information. Is there a trick to it? I can't seem to get the pins lined up to pull the spool off no matter how many times I go around. The other problem I'm having is that the bail seems to not want to stay open a lot of the time. Is there a trick to that, or do I just have a weak spring?

Kevin
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

No trick, really. If the spool is all the way on the shaft the pins have to be in the slots to keep it from rotating. There are tension springs that keep it from just falling off. They may be gunked up or corroded so pull hard and it should pop right off.

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
kevinhaney1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by kevinhaney1 »

I did finally get the spool off Tom, thanks. I probably never would have figured it out on my own. I'm still having the problem where the bail only stays open when flipped in about half of the possible positions (i.e., it only stays open when flipped within about 180 degrees of a whole rotation). Unfortunately, it doesn't stay open in the position that I need it to the most, with the bail guide at the top of the arc. Does your do that as well? I can't even figure out how to access the bail catch spring, if that is my issue.

Kevin
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

No, but it was an issue back in the day. That's why a lot of surf casters used a PUM. I have never taken it apart other than the spool. It's in a storage tote. When you get it apart as far as you can go post some good photos and we'll figure out how to keep going. It probably just needs a good cleaning throughout, some adjustment and maybe a new spring.

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027