On a Sad Note

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

On a Sad Note

Post by m3040c »

We have lost a long time member of ORCA. Mr. Ed Barrett has passed away.

Family Notification from his daughter:

Dear Friends of Edward Barrett,
I wanted to let you know my dad, Edward Barrett, passed away in his sleep on November 29 in the morning. He turned 86 years old on Sept. 17. He had congestive heart failure, pulmonary hypertension, and renal failure. He had been on hospice for a short time with excellent care. I know he loved corresponding by email and using the Internet. It meant a lot to him to be able to correspond with you. He lived a very full life and had many adventures!
Thank you again for responding to his emails and phone calls. I wish all the very best to your family at the holidays and during the New Year.
Sincerely,
Ann Marie Manion
mike cass,,, if you can't collect it, it must be food
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Re: On a Sad Note

Post by Mike N »

I’m saddened to read this news. I’m glad Ed had family with him and got to enjoy our hobby for so many years. Godspeed.

Mike N.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Thanks for relaying the news, Mike. So sad to hear about Ed. I used to love getting his lists in the mail and bought some things from him over 20 years ago.
Aloha
Brian F.
_________

ORCA Member 1997
Got a spare reel stamped "Pflueger" or a Montague Imperial?
"Caution, objects in reel view mirror are older than they appear."
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

Thanks for relaying the news, Mike. So sad to hear about Ed. I used to love getting his lists in the mail and bought some things from him over 20 years ago.
I felt an announcement here was appropriate. Ed had very strong feelings for ORCA and all its members. I was communicating with Ed up to last week. We had many dealings, he was one of my California friends and connections, very sad to see him go.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

So sad.... i’ll always remember “Old Ed on the Delta”...he lived a good life and so enjoyed his collecting. If i remember right, he was also a fellow Corvette owner. RIP, Ed!

John
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

So sad.... i’ll always remember “Old Ed on the Delta”...he lived a good life and so enjoyed his collecting. If i remember right, he was also a fellow Corvette owner. RIP, Ed!
Yup, Old Ed on the Delta. He signed all his emails like that. He stayed mentally spry right to the end. He sold his Yellow Corvette a couple of years ago and settled down with a Pick Up Truck. He was a fun guy.

This was ED Barrett, a self portrait
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Teal »

Incredibly sad news about Ed. He was a wonderful guy and a sharp collector. He will very much be missed. What a guy. So happy to have spent time with him in San Diego.

-- Dr. Todd
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

Thanks for the post Mike and Todd. I really didn't know him, but I feel like I can relate to his sense of humor. Seems like a great guy.