Say Hello To Chissie Farrington

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Say Hello To Chissie Farrington

Post by reeltackle »

I received my ORCA newsletter today with the photo of a woman posing with a giant Nova Scotia bluefin tuna and an Edward vom Hofe reel on the inside cover. I recognized her right away as Mrs. Sarah Chisholm Farrington wife of S. Kip Farrington. Sara went by the name of Chissie and from what I understand, she was a very pleasant person. She was also a big game fishing dynamo who traveled the world big game fishing with her husband S. Kip. In her book, Women Can Fish, Chissie tells how S. Kip took her on a fishing honeymoon. Chissie was such an accomplished fisher-woman that she was inducted into the IGFA Hall of Fame.

I don't know exactly what happened back in 1993 but I can only guess that Brian McGrath, publisher of Fishing Collectibles Magazine, must have misunderstood Frank O'Brien III when Frank sent him the photo. Before I read the caption under the photo I recognized her immediately as Chissie Farrington but after reading the caption I thought, well, I have never seen a picture of Roma O'Brien before and perhaps she was Chissie's doppelganger. I sent the photo and caption to my good friend Tim O'Brien, son of Frank O'Brien Jr. and stepbrother of Frank O'Brien III, just to satisfy my curiosity. Tim assured me that it was not Roma and indeed Chissie as I had suspected. Tim said Roma had blonde hair and looked nothing like Chissie.

So .... now old Chissie will finally get her due among tackle collectors. She has been miss-classified since 1993 but now she has been positively IDed. But on the up side, the rod in the picture is a Tycoon Tackle rod made by Roma's husband, Frank O'Brien Jr.
Ed Pritchard
http://www.AntiqueFishingReels.com
ORCA Charter Member "First Paid Member"
Honorary Life Member

"Reels As Big As Your Head" Always looking for BIG game reels and anything else that might go along.
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Re: Say Hello To Chissie Farrington

Post by Mike N »

That’s a nice history save there, Ed. Good job. These were the pioneers of modern big game fishing and deserve the recognition.

Mike N.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Post by reeltackle »

Thanks Mike -

Here is a picture, courtesy of Tim O'Brien, of his father Frank O'Brien with his wife Roma. Frank and Roma are standing on the docks in Nova Scotia talking with Lou Marron who is the heavy set gent wearing the fishing cap. Marron caught a 1,182 pound swordfish in 1953 that still holds the IGFA world record today.

Ed Pritchard
http://www.AntiqueFishingReels.com
ORCA Charter Member "First Paid Member"
Honorary Life Member

"Reels As Big As Your Head" Always looking for BIG game reels and anything else that might go along.
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Ed- I was very happy to have met Tim OBrien when he spoke at the ORCA Nationals in Harpers Ferry, WV. In fact he told me he has a relative in nearby Wheeling, WV. Tim’s book, “The Tycoon Tackle Story” is a very interesting read. Keep those historic photos coming.

Mike N.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Richard Lodge
Super Board Poster

Post by Richard Lodge »

Wow, Ed. Thanks for that history and correcting the record. I'm sorry to have perpetuated an error by using that page from the old magazine but will correct the error in the January Reel News. It's important to get things right, right?
thanks,
Richard
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Hello, Chissie!

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels