Fly reels weigh-in

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Fly reels weigh-in

Post by Mike N »

At the suggestion of Dr. Elder, I decided to weigh a few Orvis 1874 patent fly reels to see how the models stacked up. Ideally, you want the lightest reel that can still do the job it’s assigned....

The lightest at a mere 2.9 ounces was the riveted, second model in the aluminum option:

Next came the riveted second model in chrome over brass at 4.3 ounces:

Third lightest was the third model, with screws and no rivets at 5.0 ounces:

The heaviest was the 4th model improved for bass with the full handle at 5.8 ounces:
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Fly reels weigh-in

Post by john elder »

Neat...and certainly fits predictions! You know, the folks back then mostly fished with longer, heavier rods than we do now, so Perhaps the aluminum reels weren’t popular because they were lighter, in contrast to what we select for now. Just my ramblings...
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Industrial-scale production of Al wasn't feasible until the 1890s, and the product wasn't suitable for reels. It wasn't until such inventions as duralumin (1906) and anodization (1926?) came along that Al would be widely considered as a reel material. And let's face it, the Orvis was a relatively inexpensive thing, so there was a limit on the cost of the materials going into its manufacture.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

To put those weights in perspective, the smallest contemporary Orvis fly reel I own is CFO #1 which weighs 3.1 ounces.

Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

I received an inquiry from a very respected reel authority asking whether the 2.9 oz aluminum reel had been polished. Here is another view of that same aluminum reel in a different light, which I think suggests no polishing:

Also, here are better views of the front and back of the 4.3 oz. nickel plated brass second model showing the riveted (no screws) construction:

Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990