Today’s events at the flea market

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Reeltyme

Today’s events at the flea market

Post by Reeltyme »

Just had to share a couple of my encounters with “reel experts” today at the flea market here in Crystal River, Florida. I had my first reel expert stop by my booth and start by pointing to an 80W Canyon brand reel that I have (which is new, never spooled) and state that it is twice the reel of the Penn International 80W that I had sitting next to it (which is also new). Now everyone is entitled to an opinion, but really? He then went on to inform me he was also a big game reel collector. He had purchased a “32/0 Otto Zwarg” big game reel from a widow at a garage sale. 32/0! Well, I just had to ask if wanted to sell it,,,no. Would he have a photo of it with him,,,no. Could he possibly bring it by for me to see,,,probably not, it wasn’t easy to carry! Oh well, the biggest reel ever heard of is located somewhere in central Florida! If you believe that one. That’s a story to good not to post. I then had another expert stop by and rave on the quality of Fin Nor reels,,, no argument there. He stated quite assuredly that they were without a doubt, the finest reel ever made,,, O.K.,,, could be argued on both sides, but then compared them to those “junk” Penns! What!!! Maybe you are not a fan of Penn reels, which is hard to believe, but to refer to them as junk! I kept my tongue in my mouth and just nodded. I feel so much smarter now after being schooled today.
Just when you think you’ve heard it all,,, along comes an expert.
Hope you enjoyed my day. Keep your eyes open for that 32/0. If it ever existed, John probably has it!
Randy McConnell
Reeltyme
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Re: Today’s events at the flea market

Post by wrong99 »

Well, that makes two 32/0 Zwarg reels that exist. I have the other, also found at a garage sale. It was on the shelf next to my 32/0 Coxe and now I can't seem to find either one of them. I will, however, post photos of each when they turn up. There will never be a lack of "experts" in any given field of collecting. They seem to pop up out of the ground every time it rains.
Mark
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

I have the 32/0 Zwarg but don't have time right now to post it !! Lol ! John Taylor
Jim Schottenham
Super Board Poster

Post by Jim Schottenham »

Thanks for the chuckle Randy. I'm sure lots of us have had a similar experience at one time or another. I remember years ago at a sportsman show in Albany, NY, I had a glass display case filled with old reels and lures for folks to look at. One guy walked up to the case, looked it over, then turned to his friend and said "I dunno why that lure is behind glass - you can still buy them at Walmart". The lure he was pointing to was a friction collar Heddon slopenose (circa 1902-1910). Another show, and another expert explained to me that I ought to keep my Granger bamboo fly rod in a safe because "they aren't making bamboo anymore".
Now if you'll excuse me I have to go water my graphite plant.
Jim Schottenham
ORCA Honorary member
www.SideMountReels.com
Nick in NY
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Nick in NY »

Takes all kinds BUT someone in Florida is widening a 16-0 Senator and stamping it as a 32-0! It was on eBay couple years ago... believe the spool was about 10". Aside from people just letting any thought in their head exit there mouth isn't a good thing but it's a funny thing and I've done it intentional for laugh factor. Not to mention I've been to the same shows Jim's talking about in Rockland county and the day started like a tail gate party. I've seen it not to mention there's a crazy line at the concession stand for alcohol! At that point no telling what people will say.....
Wanted Ultra rare salt water reels including big game as well as unknown rare surf reels!
Wayne B.
Super Board Poster

Post by Wayne B. »

Randy, I would probably need a jib crane to put the 32/0 in the car!
Wayne Benson
ORCA Member, 2009
Waynesreelcollectibles.weebly.com
Reeltyme

Post by Reeltyme »

Mark, you could have a “triple crown” if you could just find a 32/0 J.Lowe! Or “Loue” or however it’s spelled.

Wayne,,,, a 32/0 IS a crane!
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Post by reeltackle »

I would bring my 32/0 Kovalovsky to shows but I am reluctant to remove it from its sterile, hermetically sealed, secure, pure white safe room that I had specially built to house it. Also, the crack 24 hour security team can get pretty itchy when someone tries to get too close and handle it. Let's just say I have had problems, they take their job verrrrrry seriously. The soldier's of fortune are a pretty rough and tumble bunch but the Jedi warriors ...... trust me, you don't want to have a light saber visit that place where the sun don't shine? Honest, I'm not making any of this up!

Ed Pritchard
http://www.AntiqueFishingReels.com
ORCA Charter Member "First Paid Member"
Honorary Life Member

"Reels As Big As Your Head" Always looking for BIG game reels and anything else that might go along.
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

reeltackle wrote:I would bring my 32/0 Kovalovsky to shows but I am reluctant to remove it from its sterile, hermetically sealed, secure, pure white safe room that I had specially built to house it. Also, the crack 24 hour security team can get pretty itchy when someone tries to get too close and handle it. Let's just say I have had problems, they take their job verrrrrry seriously. The soldier's of fortune are a pretty rough and tumble bunch but the Jedi warriors ...... trust me, you don't want to have a light saber visit that place where the sun don't shine? Honest, I'm not making any of this up!

Ed- that photo made me laugh out loud.

M
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990