Gotta Love Lunch with Gaustad!

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
john elder
Star Board Poster

Gotta Love Lunch with Gaustad!

Post by john elder »

The tacos are okay, too, but it’s the Show & Tell that makes it fun! Tough as nails Leaver Reel, Richardson levelwind on a Shakespeare prototype reel (shown on page 150 of the Vernon Bible), and a seldom seen Winchester Tournament Reel in the foreground. These are some of the last of the tougher reels in Dave’s collection and he is parting with them, if anyone is interested!

ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Re: Gotta Love Lunch with Gaustad!

Post by Mike N »

Those are some sweet reels. John. Two vintage reel experts lunching in sunny Southern California on tacos. What’s not to like? Sounds like a pilot episode of the Real Reelsmiths of Beverly Hills.

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Post by reeltackle »

I don’t know if Dave bought those reels from a collector or found them in the field but I gotta say this, over the years, Dave is perhaps the best picker I have ever known. The tackle Dave has come up with over the years just blows me away. His hard work has turned up some of the best reels and lures ever found. With Dave it goes way beyond just finding the tackle, he has made it a point to become an expert on most every area of tackle collecting as well. I wish I could have joined you guys for lunch,it’s always a pleasure to hang with Dave.....and the good Dr. John too.
Ed Pritchard
http://www.AntiqueFishingReels.com
ORCA Charter Member "First Paid Member"
Honorary Life Member

"Reels As Big As Your Head" Always looking for BIG game reels and anything else that might go along.
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Teal »

That Winchester tournament reel with the counter balance handle is so, so rare. Runs as good as a Talbot or Meek. By far the finest reel Winchester ever made. So cool.

-- Dr. Todd
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Dave is perhaps the best picker I have ever known.
Back in the late '70s or maybe early '80s, i was driving along one of Vermont's rarely-used back roads when I stopped at an antique shop in the middle of nowhere. I remember feeling like Hansel and Gretel when they stumbled across the gingerbread house.

This was at a time when some dealers would laugh you out of their shops if you asked for fishing tackle. But I bravely asked the shop owner if she had tackle, and she said someone else had been by recently asking for it. I wondered who on planet Earth might have visited this place, so the owner brought out his card. Guess who had been there first.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
roycestearns
Frequent Board Poster

Post by roycestearns »

Steve, great story!
Excellent post John
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

Sunny California? You could have had lunch here today John -- 17 degrees here this morning -- Bring a jacket -- LOL
I love to get old reels, work on them until they run as smooth as silk and the take them fishing using pre-1960 plugs, mostly surface fishing for Largemouths after dark.
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Teal »

Steve wrote:Back in the late '70s or maybe early '80s, i was driving along one of Vermont's rarely-used back roads when I stopped at an antique shop in the middle of nowhere. I remember feeling like Hansel and Gretel when they stumbled across the gingerbread house.

This was at a time when some dealers would laugh you out of their shops if you asked for fishing tackle. But I bravely asked the shop owner if she had tackle, and she said someone else had been by recently asking for it. I wondered who on planet Earth might have visited this place, so the owner brought out his card. Guess who had been there first.
Absolutely hilarious. I have a similar Don Ludy story. There's a reason why they got all the good tackle.
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Now that's the kind of stuff that made me join ORCA! Always fun to stop and see what Dave has at his tables. He comes up with some fantastic reels!
Aloha
Brian F.
_________

ORCA Member 1997
Got a spare reel stamped "Pflueger" or a Montague Imperial?
"Caution, objects in reel view mirror are older than they appear."