Fly reel ID

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Fly reel ID

Post by Paul M »

Can anyone identify this nice unmarked fly reel with square foot pillars? Measures 3 1/2” dia excluding raised pillars. Not my reel.

Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
RonG
Super Board Poster

Re: Fly reel ID

Post by RonG »

Frederick Malleson
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Thanks Ron. From a reference picture I saw of a Malleson, I was under the impression the Malleson foot pillars were round but filed flat. These seems totally rectangular.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

I'm not sure its Malleson. Crank shape is different, so is the knob and all the Malleson salmon reels I have seen have sliding bearing caps.

Maybe Enterprise Manufacturing ?

Dean.
Wanted: Kosmic Items, Small Leather Fly Reel Cases, Early Fishing Related Bottles, Fly Reels and Pre-1900 Angling/Casting Medals.

http://www.tackletreasures.com/
David Lehmann
Advanced Board Poster

Post by David Lehmann »

Enterprise did offer a salmon reel that this kind of foot in their 1900-01, 1904-05, and 1906-07 catalogs. Thomas Conroy also advertised a reel very similar (identical?) to the later Enterprise reel in the late 1880s and 1890s. Conroy sold reels manufactured by JVH, Malleson, as well as many others, during this timeframe. Cuts from Enterprise and Conroy catalogs are below. Note that the handle knob and counterbalance are different than on your reel Paul. Is the click/pawl design of your reel characteristic of a particular manufacturer?
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

FWIW, this pic shows the entire clicker spring assembly and the cross section of the foot pillars.

Paul Manuel

Member since 2006