Bristol boat rod

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Dan fish
Big ORCA Fan

Bristol boat rod

Post by Dan fish »

Hi. I recently acquired a Bristol steel boat rod #73 it has a detachable handle and is 76 inches long. I found a patent date of 4/13/37 on the reel seat. I know that it was made by Horton mfg of Bristol Ct. apparently they went out of business sometime in the 1950’s. It is in unused condition with minor chipping on the painted surface of the wooden handle.
I cannot find another of these on line can anyone give me a value on it??

Thanks in advance!
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Re: Bristol boat rod

Post by wrong99 »

Photos would certainly help, but there isn't much demand for these steel boat rods. Consequently, values are minimal (maybe $30-50). If it has the original labeled bag and is in exceptional condition, probably more. One man's version of "unused" can differ quite a bit from another's. That's why photos are essential.
Mark
Reeltyme

Post by Reeltyme »

Mark, you need to find out if it’s “Mint”.
Dan fish
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Dan fish »

Trying to upload images. Not having any luck
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

When all else fails, read the instructions :bash:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15596
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

The major reason that image uploads fail is that we only allow 2 MB images. The image uploader does not automatically resize (someday we will get it updated to do so). Given that many cameras and mobile phones create high-resolution large files, you have to have some way to resize them.

Images shot on a phone (lots of mine start out at 4 MB) can be resized pretty easily either from your phone editor or from your computer. Hopefully you have some kind of photo management software you use (Adobe Elements is pretty good). I have some professional software, but I mostly use the simpler photo editors for simple resizing. I usually crop the image, change the jpeg compression, save it, and check the size. Some editors make it simple to export an image and limit the size without doing any other editing.

If you do a lot of image resizing, you may want to install a utility specifically for that purpose.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
Dan fish
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Dan fish »

I am not good with computer stuff tried to crop and upload couldn’t crop it. Uploaded 2 that were under 2mb put can’t figure out how to post them. Does the site allow direct e-mail contact? I can e-mail the images to someone if that works
Alan Baracco
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Alan Baracco »

Folks,

The simple thing I do (I use a PC) is to use the Windows Accessories "Snipping tool" and save the file (JPEG) to a folder of your choice, I even have a folder for ORCA. It takes a 1.4 MB file and makes it about 50-150 KB. The snipping tool also lets you get rid of border stuff you don't want in the snip, like using only half the original file, or an original that had 2 reels and you only want to show 1.

Alan
Dan fish
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Dan fish »

[timg]https://images.ohrcaonline.org/u/24041/ ... ABFC3.jpeg[/timg]

As I said. Having problems
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

check your spelling for orcaonline

pic is tiny as presented so size can be increased
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Eric J
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Eric J »

The easiest way I’ve found to post pictures here is to email them to a member friend who knows how and have them do it for me :D
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Here tis....I took the H out of the orcaonline and changed timg's to rimg's...voila

So, nice stick! Don't think it was what any of us were expecting to see, with that sub stantial butt section.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Dan fish
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Dan fish »

Thank you John for sizing it for me. As I said this is unused as there isn’t so much as a scratch on the reel seat. The butt wood has only minor nicks (about 1/8 inch) in the paint! There was another steel rod in the lot I got this with as well, but it is in fair condition and is a bait cast style rod

Again thanks John. I am hoping it is worth more now that it can be seen
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Again, the value hinges on demand, for which there is little with these boat rods. I'll say $50-60 on a good day. Very nice rod, regardless. Likely made just before or just after the war, as this model doesn't show up in any of my pre-war Bristol catalogs to 1938. Hard to find, but hard to sell.
Mark