Pflueger reel production dates

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Wayne B.
Super Board Poster

Pflueger reel production dates

Post by Wayne B. »

I had a document on my computer that showed Pfleuger reel production dates by model number. It was pretty comprehensive but not filled with a lot of details. But it was a good reference, or as good as I could find.

Because of my stellar computer expertise, I have lost it. Anyone know what I am describing and be able to send it to me? If I get it, I will send it immediately to the library.

TIA
Wayne Benson
ORCA Member, 2009
Waynesreelcollectibles.weebly.com
David Lehmann
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Pflueger reel production dates

Post by David Lehmann »

Wayne,
There is a document similar to what you describe in the library (under Pflueger). It was prepared by Don Champion with assistance from Bob Miller. Scroll to the bottom of the Pflueger section in the library.
Wayne B.
Super Board Poster

Post by Wayne B. »

Thanks David.
Wayne Benson
ORCA Member, 2009
rheadlouis
Big ORCA Fan

Post by rheadlouis »

I don’t know if this will help but I have had a 2nd edition 1989 4x5-inch hand assembled book by Todd and Mary Torrey “A price guide to over 2100 fishing reels” for a very long time and used it as my bible for dating Supremes because it has a great dating guide printed on the back page. The earliest reel addressed is 1926 where it states two patent dates are stamped on the back plate: April 3, 1923 and March 30, 1926 (associated with US Patents 1450738A and 1579076A). The print is tiny but if you want it, I’ll blow up the font a bit. The reason I was looking through it in the first place is I have a Pflueger question, if you know the answer it would be of help.

I now have a reel with only the April 3, 1923 date and Other Patents Pending on the back plate, also marked S/N 17226. The foot is unmarked. Has anyone ever seen a single patent Supreme before and any idea when they stopped serializing the reel? I need a pre-1925 reel for a display presentation and discussion and this one appears to fit the bill.
Wayne B.
Super Board Poster

Post by Wayne B. »

According to Bob Miller's book History of the Pflueger Supreme, serialization ended when the numbers were just above 22,000 in early 1926. He also states that serial number 13,500 was in early 1925. I would guess your reel was made in 1925.

I would like a copy of that price list. You can send it to me via my website contact page. Thanks for responding.
Wayne Benson
ORCA Member, 2009