Displaying vintage reels on period rods

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Displaying vintage reels on period rods

Post by Mike N »

I have collected vintage reels for over 35 years but only intermittently collected the same period greenheart or lancewood or bamboo rods. The main obstacle to my rod collecting has been that I soon find myself with dozens of sealed rod tubes locked in my gun safe. What’s the fun in that? So, I’ve started pairing many of my reels with rods. Now, the problem is how best to display them.

I am looking for a custom maker or plans for a cherry or mahogany reel/rod display rack, most likely vertical, but if the rod is left in short sections to prevent a “set,” I would really like a horizontal display rack.

Any thoughts or ideas or custom craftsmen to recommend? Photos? After all, a classic reel displayed without the appropriate rod is kind of like a Nathan’s Famous hot dog without the bun....tasty, but not totally satisfying.

(I made a similar post on the Classic Fly Rod Forum and will share any suggestions.)

Thanks
Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Eric J
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Displaying vintage reels on period rods

Post by Eric J »

There are cases that baseball collectors use for bats that will hold a 9 ft 3-piecer but not much longer.
I made a case for Fred Rhodes’ Morton rod that was 10 ft. I’ll take a picture and attempt to post it.
Eric J
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Eric J »

This is the case.

I made a removable end that is held on with magnets.

This is the end piece with the inset magnets. Not a beautiful job of cabinetry and finish, but it works.

The plexiglas slides out to access the items inside.
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Wow, Eric.That’s a super display case. I really like the magnetic access panel. Thanks for posting.

Eric’s idea of using baseball bat display cases is a good one. The depth of the bat case should fit a rod and reel combo. Of course, the rod would have to be broken down. Here are a few offerings from an auction site:

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Mike,
I think it entirely depends on how many rods (with mounted reels) you're talking about. Also the length and type of rods. If the rods have original holders, tubes or bags, that presents an even bigger problem displaying them and would probably dictate if they should be done horizontally or vertically. Here's a screen shot of how the Heddon Museum displays their rods. Both ways, but with either option taking up a vast amount of space.
Eric J
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Eric J »

eBay auction 302333855956 is a bat and ball case that has an inside length of 38-1/2” which would accommodate up to a 9-1/2’ rod. The seller probably makes them and maybe could remove the ball shelf. Free shipping and only $59!
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

The late Jack Eschenmann had what was reputed to be "the largest privately held collection of fly fishing equipment and esoterica in the world." Although much of his collection was auctioned, he donated many items to the Pennsylvania State Museum. (Some rods of his, not including the Phillippe, are shown here.)

Jack's rod collection was kept in tall, glass-fronted cabinets, with the rods held vertically, most displayed at full length. I don't recall what kind of mounting hardware was used, but figuring out how to support a rod vertically ain't rocket science. Of course, adding a reel to each rod can make life more difficult, but it might mean nothing more than using a slightly deeper cabinet.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
Jim Schottenham
Super Board Poster

Post by Jim Schottenham »

Mike,

You could do as I have, and start adopting the little orphan handles that have lost the mids and tips, but still have great display appeal. They don't require the same amount of space as a full rod and you don't need to worry about them developing a set.
i included two rod handles with side-mount reels as part of the AMFF exhibit so folks could pick them up and get a feel for using the reels without the worry of poking someones eye out with an eight to 12 foot rod. Kind of like an antique version of the Bass Pro shops reel sales counter.
Jim Schottenham
ORCA Honorary member
www.SideMountReels.com
Eric J
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Eric J »

I like it!
I can picture a display with holes or slots drilled at an angle in a piece of wood that you insert the rod into. A new winter project for me!
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Jim Schottenham wrote:Mike,

You could do as I have, and start adopting the little orphan handles that have lost the mids and tips, but still have great display appeal. They don't require the same amount of space as a full rod and you don't need to worry about them developing a set.
i included two rod handles with side-mount reels as part of the AMFF exhibit so folks could pick them up and get a feel for using the reels without the worry of poking someones eye out with an eight to 12 foot rod. Kind of like an antique version of the Bass Pro shops reel sales counter.
Jim,

I just saw your photos and comments. That’s a great idea and puts the reel in a proper perspective without being miniaturized by a 9’ piece of greenheart. By the way, those are some beautiful hardwood handles, similar to a finely turned piece of furniture.

Nicely done.

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990