How about a Gettysburg reel report?

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Mike N
Star Board Poster

How about a Gettysburg reel report?

Post by Mike N »

I know a few ORCAns are at the NFLCC Gettysburg show this weekend. How about sharing a few photos and reel updates? Thanks.

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Ray Hencken
Advanced Board Poster

Re: How about a Gettysburg reel report?

Post by Ray Hencken »

ORCA members should have been there. You missed seeing quite a few great reels. Such as a Meek 44, Walker Midge, Bradford &
Anthony small ball handle, round JVH fly reels, JVH Perforated NS/HR, EVH 355 #3, small, round, Malleson Pat. Appl. Hawkeye, Cozzone fly reel, early aluminum fly reel, EVH 800 #2, Kopf casting reels, Pflueger Medalists and Progresses, and many more.
kevinhaney1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by kevinhaney1 »

It was my first such show but even though it was a small event (20 tables) it was very interesting and I managed to pick up a few cool reels and lures.

One reel I got is a little bit of a mystery, which I was hoping someones here could help me solve. It is a see through baitcaster made of orange bakelite or celluloid of some sort. It has no markings on the reel and the box doesn't really identify it. Here are the pics:

My questions are as follows:

1. Who made this and when, and is it in the correct box?

2. Was it made as a display reel, or were they all see through?

Hopefully someone knows the answers.

Kevin
Kevin Haney, Vintage Anglers
http://www.vintageanglers.com
Ray Hencken
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Ray Hencken »

kevinhaney1 wrote:It was my first such show but even though it was a small event (20 tables) it was very interesting and I managed to pick up a few cool reels and lures.

One reel I got is a little bit of a mystery, which I was hoping someones here could help me solve. It is a see through baitcaster made of orange bakelite or celluloid of some sort. It has no markings on the reel and the box doesn't really identify it. Here are the pics:

My questions are as follows:

1. Who made this and when, and is it in the correct box?

2. Was it made as a display reel, or were they all see through?

Hopefully someone knows the answers.

Kevin
There were more than 40 rooms open for room trading on Thursday and Friday. That is the best time to come if your schedule permits.
arley
Advanced Board Poster

Post by arley »

I was there and met a bunch of old friends, made some new ones. Overall a splendid time was had. Bigger next year I am told.
you can tune a piano,but you can't tuna fish.
Hoosier Dave
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Hoosier Dave »

Kevin,

I think your reel is a Bronson and they made that style as a general line, nothing special. Sorry I am not around my stash of reel info at this time and only going on what is left of my memory so I can not give you a date.
I am looking for any Indiana style reels that I don't already have in my collection. I have all kinds of reels and lures and some cash to trade for the ones I need.
40fordflathead
Advanced Board Poster

Post by 40fordflathead »

Looks like a Bronson Spartin or Warrior to me. Time frame 1933-1944. Made from “Brontex”.
Bruce Harlan
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

40fordflathead wrote:Looks like a Bronson Spartin or Warrior to me. Time frame 1933-1944. Made from “Brontex”.
You can read about them here by scrolling down to Sparton and Warrior.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

Mike, I apologize for not taking any pictures ...even after you sent me a reminder !

For a lure show there was a fairly decent selection of reels, but the emphasis was certainly on lures.

In addition to the reels Ray mentioned there was a nice Zwarg salmon reel, a few B.C. Milam reels, various Meeks, some nice Shakespeare nickle silver reels, Penn reels, a couple of early Penn boxes ...and this slick Talbot that followed me home ...

I've never seen a Talbot reel made for the trade with no Talbot markings before. This one is tiny, it's just 1-7/8" in diameter. The reel has an aluminum spool with a cork arbor and an aluminum crank. The serial number is stamped on both plates between the foot pillars.

Dean.
Wanted: Kosmic Items, Small Leather Fly Reel Cases, Early Fishing Related Bottles, Fly Reels and Pre-1900 Angling/Casting Medals.

http://www.tackletreasures.com/
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Kevin and Dean-

Those photos are greatly appreciated and exemplify what ORCA is all about.

Mike N

PS
Kevin- I don’t recall ever seeing that box. Nice find!

Dean, as we said in the old days, that reel is a wowser.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Ray Hencken wrote:ORCA members should have been there. You missed seeing quite a few great reels. Such as a Meek 44, Walker Midge, Bradford &
Anthony small ball handle, round JVH fly reels, JVH Perforated NS/HR, EVH 355 #3, small, round, Malleson Pat. Appl. Hawkeye, Cozzone fly reel, early aluminum fly reel, EVH 800 #2, Kopf casting reels, Pflueger Medalists and Progresses, and many more.
Thanks, Ray. Sounds like a fishing reel honey hole.

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

Hey Dean,

That's a beautiful reel. I have one that doesn't have the aluminum spool/handle or cork arbor. I like yours better. :D

Kevin McJunkin
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Kevin McJunkin »

Great to see so many familiar faces in the 40 or so rooms or passing through. Sweet little V.L.A./Talbot reel, Dean! It was really fun seeing your museum quality display, also - should have bought that salmon fly scale (might buy it if you still have it at Daytona). Also at the "Bull and Brews Show and Tell" on Thursday night got to handle Gary Lopez's sweet little tournament Meek with a cutout aluminum spool. At first glance I exclaimed, "Wow, who put a Langley spool on a Meek?" but Gary quickly straightened me out. George McCabe brought a neat Langley tournament reel that he had put together from several parts reels. Plus we got to enjoy Scott's home brewed "Gettysburg Lager!" I heard it was a good auction although there weren't any reels this time, although I've picked up a few in the past.

I got there late (Thursday afternoon) so I think I missed the early Penn boxes and I watched a guy buy a nice early Ocean City free spool in a crisp box. He said later "you should have seen what the guy ahead of me bought," but I didn't want to know - ha, ha. Sales were good and I actually came home with more money than I spent. My neatest acquisition was this True Temper Visa-Matic automatic fly reel in a dealer display box from my buddy Arley. The box was pretty ragged but with some judicious application of glue and tape I think I've made it presentable. Also bought a Crack 300 surf reel, nice Heddon Pal P-41 (to fill a box), Shakespeare Perfect (100 yd, don't get too excited), a cool Folsom/Divine bamboo fly project rod, and a few other items.

Kevin

Eric J
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Eric J »

Love that TT Auto fly reel! And it says it’s designed for the professional fly fisherman!
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

Kevin McJunkin wrote:Great to see so many familiar faces in the 40 or so rooms or passing through. Sweet little V.L.A./Talbot reel, Dean! It was really fun seeing your museum quality display, also - should have bought that salmon fly scale (might buy it if you still have it at Daytona).
Thanks for the kind words, Kevin. As always, it was good to see you.

I'll be bringing the salmon fly scale to Daytona.

Dean.
Wanted: Kosmic Items, Small Leather Fly Reel Cases, Early Fishing Related Bottles, Fly Reels and Pre-1900 Angling/Casting Medals.

http://www.tackletreasures.com/