Mitchell 330 handle and cam roller

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Phil M.
Big ORCA Fan

Mitchell 330 handle and cam roller

Post by Phil M. »

I took possession of a Mitchell 330 when it was filthy. Restored it, but it came with a handle that I'm not sure is original (see link at end of post). I've seen handles with this type of lock-screw on other Mitchells and was wondering what are the proper models it should be found on. The length of the shaft is the normal 300 length. This reel also has a ROTATING wheel that follows the plastic cam that is attached underneath the baffle plate. Other auto-bails I have seen have all had a STATIONARY cam follower. Serial # of this reel is 5075457. Any thoughts on these 2 situations.https://images.orcaonline.org/u/23861/2 ... 285%29.jpg
jr.evansii
Frequent Board Poster

Re: Mitchell 330 handle and cam roller

Post by jr.evansii »

Your S/N of 5075457 would indicate the reel was made between 1963 and 1965. I don't think that handle came out until the mid to late 1970's, possibly with the Mitchell 300A around 1977.
http://www.mitchellreelmuseum.com/index ... -300a-301a

I don't know about the cam and roller.

J.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Your reel would have originally had the tapered knurled threaded end frequently seen on 300s from that time frame. Can't help you on the under the baffle plate issue, but photos would help a lot.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Rook
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Rook »

My 330 serial no. 4021181 was made around 1961. It's got the older style handle on it.

Phil M.
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Phil M. »

Link below shows the normal cam follower which has a stationary puck. The cam follower in the reel I pictured earlier has a puck with twice the diameter of the one pictured, and the puck actually rolls. I have never seen this on earlier or later 330's, and I own several. It makes the bail close with less effort than with a stationary puck, having less friction. As far as your 330 in the picture, i have never seen any 300 series reel with a spring-loaded handle like yours, that didn't also have the "butterfly" anti-reverse lever. Strange.
https://images.orcaonline.org/u/23861/2 ... 20comp.jpg
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Mitchell reels are notorious for part switching. Makes deciphering interesting, and somewhat challenging. :wink:
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Phil M.
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Phil M. »

Tom, nice 330 reel you have there. Yeah, I know Mitchell ran out of certain parts sometimes and started putting newer parts in reels that had other older characteristics, resulting in some "hybrid" reels. The rotating puck was a good improvement but they abandoned it. Probably thought the minor improvement didn't justify the extra cost. Would like to hear if anyone else has come upon a rotating puck in ANY auto-bail.