ok so what can you tell me about these reels

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
moonshine
Big ORCA Fan

ok so what can you tell me about these reels

Post by moonshine »

so anyone out there that can help ?

rare and unusual antique fishing reel. this is only that second one of these reels that I have ever seen, The reel measures 10" in length and is 3 1/2" in diameter. The reel is made from one piece of aluminum with German silver side plates. It is unusual in that it is air cooled by two rotating fan blades on the inside. It is also equipped with a click system which is a long lever on the back plate. Mechanically, the reel cranks very smoothly with a good strong click. Cosmetically, I would rate the reel a 9. It was found with a matching wood and metal reel holder. After years of research and talking to many fellow reel collector's, the reel has yet to reveal its provenance.

HI Pete, I bought that reel at an ORCA show around 25 years ago. There was an article in the ORCA news about that reel giving it the title: Nemo Reel. This year I sold one just like it, and those were the only 2 known to exist. Nobody in ORCA or other fishing clubs could identify the maker. But it is a very futuristic looking reel, eh? So glad you like it and thank for your purchase.

Regards, Mike

moonshine
Big ORCA Fan

Re: ok so what can you tell me about these reels

Post by moonshine »

i guess noone has any idea maybe someone can give me the date of the article so i can look it up :fished
Jim Schottenham
Super Board Poster

Post by Jim Schottenham »

Pete,
You can find the issue from the Member Services link, then by going to the list of articles (listed in alphabetical order) where you'll find the Nemo Reel:
Article List

I don't think you'll get much more information than you already have from Mike - but I can tell you the rod holder is made by Meisselbach, and documented by Phil White as made from 1888 to 1919, labeled as the Handy Rod holder. I'm afraid I can't shed any light on the reel maker, but I can tell you I think both of those are super cool looking.

Jim
Jim Schottenham
ORCA Honorary member
www.SideMountReels.com
moonshine
Big ORCA Fan

Post by moonshine »

Jim thanks for the info much appreciated