Maker of this raised pillar fly reel?

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Maker of this raised pillar fly reel?

Post by Mike N »

I first saw this fly reel at Ft.Wayne on Henry’s table and was sorry I didn’t buy it. When he brought it to Daytona I had to pull the trigger. I think it was the patina and the simple, thin counterbalanced handle (seen on more expensive reels of that era) that drew my attention. It does have a click button on the backplate that works well.

Anyone have an idea of its maker and build date? Which of the mixed screws are original—the Phillips or regular? Thanks.

Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Maker of this raised pillar fly reel?

Post by john elder »

Phillips heads are wrong, MHO....foot looks like Hendrix.... much like this one, only these are multipliers

ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

john elder wrote:Phillips heads are wrong, MHO....foot looks like Hendrix, but ?
I agree John, since Phillips screws were not generally available until the 1930s and I think this reel is earlier. Thanks.

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

The foot rivets and rear bearing cap ID it as a Hendryx. Mike is right about Phillips screws, but Frearson screws were earlier and can be tough to ID.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Thanks, Steve... definitely something to look for but not a threat here. These have simple “X” slot pattern, not hex and the head sizes don’t match. In fact, all the regular straight slot screws do not match either. Function won out over form on this one.... easy fix.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

I'm going to guess that a size in-between the right hand foot screw and right hand pillar screw seems like it might be correct. Or maybe one or the other. Slotted, of course.
Mark
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Thanks, all. I downloaded ORCA’s entire Hendryx catalog library (1889, 1907, 1910 and Don’s 1892-1910 compilation) but could not find this exact reel with the thin, counterbalanced handle. I hope to find it sold through another retailer, like A&I.

Mike N

PS
I don’t have the computer literacy to rotate them, but most of our Hendryx library is downloaded sideways which makes viewing difficult. Perhaps someone can correct the same. Thanks.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
corbo
Frequent Board Poster

Post by corbo »

mark on foot says pre early 20's prior to Winchester purchase.
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

It doesn't show up in the 1904 catalog, either.
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

corbo wrote:mark on foot says pre early 20's prior to Winchester purchase.
Here is a better photo of the “100” yard mark on the foot. Can you educate me on why this indicates pre-1920s? Some of the post-1921 Winchester reels on Ron’s website are marked with similar line capacity. See, https://luresnreels.com/winchester.html

Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Post-1920 Hendryx reels under Winchester ownership would have the line capacity underlined.
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

wrong99 wrote:Post-1920 Hendryx reels under Winchester ownership would have the line capacity underlined.
Thanks, Mark. The knowledge ORCA members have and are willing to share on the smallest of details never ceases to amaze me.

Mike N.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

mark on foot says pre early 20's prior to Winchester purchase.
As revealed by Doc Herr, ORCA Newsletter, Winter, 1995, pg. 5

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
leland99
Advanced Board Poster

Post by leland99 »

PS
I don’t have the computer literacy to rotate them, but most of our Hendryx library is downloaded sideways which makes viewing difficult. Perhaps someone can correct the same. Thanks.

Mike,
While you have the catalog open on Adobe, in the upper left hand corner you will see several commands... left click on View, then move cursor to Rotate View, then move cursor to Clockwise or Counter Clockwise. Generally you only have to change views one time, just depends how the images were loaded. Hope this helps, Bryce
Bryce Tawney
The Reel Packrat

Packing these reels into my nest hole: Talbot, Milam, Meek, Horton, Heddon, Wm Shakespeare Jr, and small diameter skeleton fly reels!
desertangler
Advanced Board Poster

Post by desertangler »

Hi Mike,

That's a nifty reel and a nice size. If you look very closely at the top of the foot I believe you will see Hendryx lettering showing through. It looks barely visible in a couple of your photos. Here is a similar reel currently listed https://www.ebay.com/itm/333552870401

Tight lines,

George
:fished Reely Easy Going ORCA Member
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

desertangler wrote:Hi Mike,

That's a nifty reel and a nice size. If you look very closely at the top of the foot I believe you will see Hendryx lettering showing through. It looks barely visible in a couple of your photos. Here is a similar reel currently listed https://www.ebay.com/itm/333552870401

Tight lines,

George
Well, George, you win the Doc Herr Award for figuring that out. Thanks. I went back and looked, and lo and behold, there it was:

Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990