Shakespeare Customer Service Response

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
leland99
Advanced Board Poster

Shakespeare Customer Service Response

Post by leland99 »

I was looking for the gear ratio for a later model Shakespeare Sigma Supra spinning reel which I presume is from the 1980's or 90's. I had already exhausted google, so I went to the maker. The response I received made me chuckle and I just had to share it here. Bryce

PS: Anyone know the gear ratio for Sigma Supra RT 840 spinning reel?

Bryce Tawney
The Reel Packrat

Packing these reels into my nest hole: Talbot, Milam, Meek, Horton, Heddon, Wm Shakespeare Jr, and small diameter skeleton fly reels!
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: Shakespeare Customer Service Response

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Bryce,

You can come very close to figuring it out yourself. Position the crank handle either up or down (vertical) or front or back (horizontal). Which ever position you choose to start with the handle knob note exactly where the bail line guide/roller is positioned. Turn the crank handle one full rotation to where you started and while doing so count the revolutions of the bail line guide/roller. This will tell you what the gear ratio is. It usually works best to try to get the handle knob and line guide in positions that are easy to decipher. Example: say like the handle knob down at the bottom and maybe the line guide either up, down or sideways. Then count the bail revolutions for one rotation of the crank.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Hey, I give credit to Shakespeare for recognizing what all of us in ORCA already know: our non-profit has become the key depository regarding the history of the fishing reel. It’s a trust we take seriously, and we rely on the lifelong research of members like Tom, above.

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
leland99
Advanced Board Poster

Post by leland99 »

Great tip Tom, I appreciate this information!!! Bryce
Bryce Tawney
The Reel Packrat

Packing these reels into my nest hole: Talbot, Milam, Meek, Horton, Heddon, Wm Shakespeare Jr, and small diameter skeleton fly reels!
leland99
Advanced Board Poster

Post by leland99 »

Mike, I agree wholeheartedly. Pretty impressive when you think about a company with Shakespeare's history and legacy making a recommendation of our fine organization!
Bryce Tawney
The Reel Packrat