Logging Into Library

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Logging Into Library

Post by wrong99 »

I see no place where I can log into my account so I can download a catalog. Done it many times before, but now it doesn't recognize me as a member and I see no place to log in. Why is this difficult?
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: Logging Into Library

Post by Midway Tommy D »

I just had no problem at all. The process was the same as always. Go to "Store" & click "My Account", then log in and go wherever you want, i.e. "Harvey Garrison Library", etc., put your goodies in your "cart" & "check out". Once checked out you can directly down load it or wait for your e-mail confirmation and download it then. I see nothing different in the procedure.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Thank you, Tommy. I forgot about going to the "store" first.
Mark
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

The pathway in could possibly be made a bit simpler with a “Go to Library” button. On occasion, I forget how to get there, too.

Mike N.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

I added a note on our admin page to look into that. However, there is already a Member Services -> Library menu item, in addition to the store. So is there something about that menu that is not intuitive? Just looking for some design help.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

kyreels wrote:I added a note on our admin page to look into that. However, there is already a Member Services -> Library menu item, in addition to the store. So is there something about that menu that is not intuitive? Just looking for some design help.
Matt, I’m hesitant to suggest any changes because I am grateful for all the work others have done to create and maintain this great website. But since you were kind enough to ask, I don’t think most on-line retailers would use this format with the link to their catalog inside a paragraph. Is there another more intuitive way to lay this out? Maybe a large button “Sign In To Library” which takes you to a password entry.

When you attempt to download (below) maybe there can be a “Member Sign In” button in addition to “Join Now.” Perhaps we can also add a note that a Member Password is different from a Reel Talk User password.

Thanks
Last edited by Mike N on Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

It seems to me, since it's members only access, that changing the trail isn't that much of an issue. ORCA members, it seems, should easily enough be able to figure out the procedure by following those simple instructions. The biggest challenge in the way it is set up is remembering you have different user name & different password. All that takes is some documentation on the participant's part.

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Midway Tommy D wrote:It seems to me, since it's members only access, that changing the trail isn't that much of an issue. ORCA members, it seems, should easily enough be able to figure out the procedure by following those simple instructions. The biggest challenge in the way it is set up is remembering you have different user name & different password. All that takes is some documentation on the participant's part.
It’s just not clear that you have to click “Store” at the top of the page to get to the member sign in:

https://www.orcaonline.org/my-account/

And then once you do sign in, a link back to the library would be a nice shortcut. I don’t think there is one now:

Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

You may not have noticed but there is a member login and library entry point at the bottom of the Reel Research Menu on the Wordpress part of the website as shown below.

Note that the Harvey Garrison Library screen shown in a post above has obsolete content. The list of available material was not updated when the full library was uploaded. There is much more in the library than shown in that old list. The page was left as it was with a few added comments about changes to the library system. It was a lot of work to update and so it was left for a future volunteer.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Paul, do you think it’s user friendly to have the Member sign-in on a “Reel Research” list below “Bronson Home Page,” “Ocean City Reels” and “Marhoff Reels?”

It’s almost like a treasure hunt. Why not a separate button at the top of the page?

Thanks,

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

On a full sized screen, the list of menu columns on the home page layout has maxed out the available space. Our software is already using a special plugin to increase the depth and number of flyouts in the Orcaonline menu architecture beyond the standard Wordpress capability. As soon as you add something more, it gets wrapped around and does strange things and what it does depends on the user's device and browser.

The ORCA online Store is where the library function is located and that is the main entry. No matter where the menu item is located, you have to be logged into the store account (My Account). That is the way we make the contents available to members and encourage non-members to Join. The addition of another entry to the library at the bottom of the Reel Research section was in response to a prior comment while there was work being conducted in the Reel Research Section. It is pretty easy to remove those redundant menu items but they were put there to help.

I am not actively working on any of this so all suggestions should be directed to the web manager. My post was to simply explain.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

:D Ah, yes.....the simpler you try to make it, the more complicated the page gets, lol. We end up adding more buttons for direct links and pretty soon the comment is "We got too many buttons!" :lol: I believe the objective was to make this site "mobile device friendly" too. As it is, we don't have an "App" developed yet so users with phones are constantly needing to zoom in to different parts of the page just to click on all of our bells and whistles. When the move is really made to cater to mobile devices and not desk tops (like all internet is moving towards), the site will get even more streamlined.

BTW, thank you, Paul, for coming out of retirement temporarily to help where you can!
Aloha
Brian F.
_________

ORCA Member 1997
Got a spare reel stamped "Pflueger" or a Montague Imperial?
"Caution, objects in reel view mirror are older than they appear."
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Brian F. wrote::D Ah, yes.....the simpler you try to make it, the more complicated the page gets, lol. We end up adding more buttons for direct links and pretty soon the comment is "We got too many buttons!" :lol: I believe the objective was to make this site "mobile device friendly" too. As it is, we don't have an "App" developed yet so users with phones are constantly needing to zoom in to different parts of the page just to click on all of our bells and whistles. When the move is really made to cater to mobile devices and not desk tops (like all internet is moving towards), the site will get even more streamlined.

BTW, thank you, Paul, for coming out of retirement temporarily to help where you can!
I hope that never happens since I'll never pack, or have, a mobile device. I'll just continue to go primitive with my good ol' PC, at least until I croak. :lol:

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

I'll just continue to go primitive with my good ol' PC, at least until I croak.
Ditto. Who wants to use a screen the same size as an icon on a PC monitor? :loco:

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
Len Sawisch
Site Admin

Post by Len Sawisch »

Me Too! Mobile devices make 69 year old men like me sterile! Plus mobile devices have a habit of falling in urinals. My PC has never fallen in a urinal.

Len
Len Sawisch
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Len Sawisch wrote:Me Too! Mobile devices make 69 year old men like me sterile! Plus mobile devices have a habit of falling in urinals. My PC has never fallen in a urinal.

Len
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Steve wrote:Ditto. Who wants to use a screen the same size as an icon on a PC monitor? :loco:
What!?!? You all haven't run out and bought your Apple Watch yet!?! :lol: I just don't understand that thing myself lol
Aloha
Brian F.
_________

ORCA Member 1997
Got a spare reel stamped "Pflueger" or a Montague Imperial?
"Caution, objects in reel view mirror are older than they appear."
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

51% of new visitors to the website use desktops, the rest are smart phones and tablets. Overall, 42% of all orcaonline users are using mobile devices or tablets and 57% use desktops. The current software does support all device types.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
Len Sawisch
Site Admin

Post by Len Sawisch »

All Y'all Webmasters, current and past, deserve a cyber hug for doing the grunt work behind the scenes to keep the site going and growing. And a second hug for putting up with us users!

Len "I-measured-and-my-keyboard-will-fit-in-a-urinal" Sawisch
Len Sawisch
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

I do think we can add something to make it easier to login and get to the library. We will look into it more.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle