Launching the Edward Vom Hofe Reel Production Study!

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Scott E
Big ORCA Fan

Launching the Edward Vom Hofe Reel Production Study!

Post by Scott E »

Hello Everyone,

I joined ORCA 5 years ago and have been a Lifetime Member for about a year, a decision long overdue as I have been interested in old reels and reel research for quite some time. I wrote the Reel News cover story article on Oscar Allen’s brass reel in the July 2018 edition and have been searching unsuccessfully for another antique reel topic to write about ever since...until I started this Edward vom Hofe Reel Production Study!

While work, family and other flimsy excuses have kept me from participating actively in conversations here on Reel Talk, I’m straightening out my ‘priorities’ and am taking the leap into this discussion group.

I’ve been fortunate to gain a lot of knowledge about old reels by attending tackle shows and conventions, as well as from fellow ORCA members and contributors in posted discussions here and from many of their articles and books on the subject. The first EVH reel I collected was a small, rough looking, early 491 Universal reel that I restored 4 years ago...a completed project only made possible by reading and implementing techniques learned from the ORCA members’ ‘Cleaning, Restoring and Repairing Antique Fishing Reels’ book from the minds of some incredible contributors/ magicians I’ve met and or spoken to like Don Champion, John Elder, Roger Schulz, Todd Larson, Steve Vernon and a host of others.

So after not screwing this reel up and then marveling at the quality, design and craftsmanship found underneath this poor reel’s years of neglect, I became interested in finding out more about Edward vom Hofe and his company’s reels. In the last 5 years I have collected a handful up to this point, enjoying each part of cleaning, restoration and research. This is where the EVH Reel Production Study I’m presently working on unofficially started.

It’s no secret that Edward Vom Hofe and his company, along with his descendants and a host of talented employees, managed to build some of the finest fishing reels ever made for over 80 years from 1867 to 1950. Ted Bingham, author of the incredible book, “The Celebrated Reels of Edward Vom Hofe” wrote that from 1908 to 1950, the company’s employees stamped letters indicating the years built on the reel foot... A for 1908, B for 1909 and so on. Serial numbers and model numbers were also stamped on many of these reels.

The mystery questions I’m working on answering about Edward Vom Hofe reels are:

(1) Can an accurate estimate be made of how many EVH reels of each model were made during this company’s lifetime?

(2) How rare or how common are the different models and sizes of EVH reels?

(3) Were these reel models made in production runs every year, or just in certain years?

(4) Were the reel models made in small or large production runs/batches and were some other models made strictly by special order from individual customer requests?

Can some or all these questions be answered? Perhaps.

Well, for starters, I have created a spread sheet of serial numbers, sizes and model numbers for almost 300 EVH reels gathered so far, from photos and descriptions from past online tackle auctions, vintage tackle retail sales companies, EBay sales, highly knowledgeable collectors’ websites and some individual collector friends.

But I need help! This data online is limited. I need collectors to take the time to look at their reels and send me their serial numbers, with the reels’ size number and model number information on the 1908 and later EVH reels they have.

So far, this EVH Reel Production Study has revealed a few things that I didn’t know...

Based on the data compiled to this point, it’s very likely that many of the EVH reel models documented in Ted Bingham’s wonderful book were not produced in certain years within their production timeline. In addition, while studying serial numbers from almost 300 reels, there are 5 years (serial number letter codes) between 1908-1940 that I have not found a single example of any EVH reel...yet. G-1914, I-1916, J-1917, Q-1924 and W-1930.

I can speculate on this, with some discretion, for a moment... a few of these non-production years might be connected to the United States’ entry into WW 1. There is believed to have been some strong public anti-German sentiment around that time which may have influenced company activity. Another example, that of the term “Liberty Silver” being used in place of the well-known term “German Silver” to describe reels made then around this period. That name change might have underscored some company troubles with public support.

According to Bingham’s research, it’s likely the early 1920’s saw a lot of company changes with the death of its founder Edward in 1920, and his sons’ increasing involvement with the company. There were several new reels in various design stages in the early 1920’s with several models coming into production around 1925. The Great Depression starting in October 1929 would have likely made quite an impact on 1930 production plans.

Other research nuggets I have turned up involve several marked reels that have letter codes identifying them as coming from some of the war years. I have also found over 25 examples of reels of different models and sizes made during one individual peacetime year.

At this point, I need your input and more data on your EVH Reel models, their sizes and the reels’ complete serial numbers that you have or that you may have sold. Right now, I have the data on over 300 EVH reels, but my goal is to get data from at least 500 reels into this study!

I am in the process of writing an article to eventually submit to the quarterly ORCA’s Reel News magazine which will summarize the results from this Reel Production Study.
You can contact me here or pm me here to discuss. I welcome any input you might have to share with me and I like constructive criticism ‘almost’ as much as EVH reel data!

Stay Safe & Thanks!!
Scott Edwards
Scott E
Big ORCA Fan

Re: Launching the Edward Vom Hofe Reel Production Study!

Post by Scott E »

Some before and after photos of the aforementioned 'patina-encrusted' 491 EVH reel from 1908...
Scott E
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Scott E »

Just a wee bit crusty....I don't remember how many hours it was soaking in a vinegar/water solution after this but it should have resembled a prune when I took it out...
Scott E
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Scott E »

"bathes?....bathes?...we don't need no stinkin' bathes!!!
Scott E
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Scott E »

and finally no longer looking like a past-its-prime turnip left outside over a dozen winters...
KIWI
Advanced Board Poster

Post by KIWI »

Nice job Scott ! I have a few of those myself - even a few with the "G" and "I" year codes. Doug Whittington
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Scott E wrote:

and finally no longer looking like a past-its-prime turnip left outside over a dozen winters...
Beautiful work! Back to life!
Mark
Scott E
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Scott E »

Thanks guys for the acknowledgements!

I figured there were a few characters around who shared my affliction for quality nickel silver & hard rubber EVH reels. It doesn't surprise me, Doug that you have unearthed a couple scarce G & I years reels...would love to hear more. Care to share some reel knowledge? :type:
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Very nice, Scott!

FWIW if you do searches of past ReelTalk posts for "Vom Hofe" and "EVH" etc, you will find several that include serial number info for EVH reels. First enter the text to filter for the reel and then do a search for "Serial Number" "SN", etc within each of those search results.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
KIWI
Advanced Board Poster

Post by KIWI »

Scott, I'll get you a list with all the numbers and year codes. Believe I have 1 or 2 uncataloged reels as well. Doug
Scott E
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Scott E »

Thanks Doug! I got the first round at the next tackle show! :beer :D
Scott E
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Scott E »

Hi Paul!

Thanks for the input and comments. While doing the research for this study, one of the things I've been somewhat amazed about is the large number of fishing related websites that have technical and sales information about these reels. Your note got me thinking that, while I'm not presently on Facebook, its about time for me to connect with some folks and sites like yours there who share similar tackle and fishing interests. :fished

Scott
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Scott (and all EVH enthusiasts) here is a link to a group specifically about EVH (reels): https://www.facebook.com/groups/1550948 ... ?ref=share
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
Scott E
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Scott E »

That’s great. Many thanks
Scott E
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Scott E »

Thanks to all who have contributed to the study thus far... great support. I’m looking at having a results summary and potential ORCA article ready to go sometime later this spring.
Scott E
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Scott E »

Yes... to answer some PM questions....I’m looking for information on just Edward Vom Hofe reels only...their serial numbers, sizes and model numbers located on their reel feet...info is kept confidential and results will be available to ORCA members later this spring. Thanks!
fishugo
Big ORCA Fan

Post by fishugo »

Scott E wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:17 pm Some before and after photos of the aforementioned 'patina-encrusted' 491 EVH reel from 1908...

Like the careful work you performed on the boogered screws!