Sad News - Don Champion Has Passed

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
RonG
Super Board Poster

Sad News - Don Champion Has Passed

Post by RonG »

It's with a sad heart that I have to report that we lost long time member Don Champion last Tuesday. Don was a big supporter of ORCA and served as the Club Librarian from 2007 to 2014. Don was a skilled machinist and helped repair a lot of reels for Club members. Don's main love for reels were ones made by Montague. Don would gladly help anyone that needed his help or had questions about Montague reels. His wife told us that it will be a limited attendance graveside ceremony due to the virus situation. Don was a good friend to all and he will be missed.
KIWI
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Sad News - Don Champion Has Passed

Post by KIWI »

So Sorry to here that. Will miss him for sure. Our thoughts and prayers go to the family. Doug
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

What awful news. I'll always cherish the many years of chatting with Don, exchanging info, comparing notes, debating, learning from each other. We have lost one of the best...and a major contributor to the reel collecting fraternity.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Don was indeed a venerable ORCA member. He always stood tall for the club’s unofficial motto of selflessly sharing information on antique reels with anyone who needed it. Don was a true “Champion” in every sense of the word. We will all miss him. Godspeed, old friend.

Mike N.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Terrible news! One of the good guys, for sure. Had he been ill?
Mark
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

So sorry to hear this. Don was my mentor in reel repair efforts and was alway there for advice on how to do things using best methods. He was so very knowledgeable about reel history and makers that he could always be counted on for a meaningful add or comment to the Reel Talk board. He will be greatly missed.

Rest in piece, Don..
John
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

I am very sorry that we lost Don Champion. He was a great club member and a friend that will be missed.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
Roger Schulz
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Roger Schulz »

Don was a special person and collector. He was always there to help you when you had a question or needed a reel repaired. One of his special contributions was to co-author with Todd Larson "The Fishing Reels of Julius Vom Hofe 1882-1937." He was also a big contributor to the "Cleaning, Repairing, and Restoring Antique Fishing Reels" notebook. He had a lot of valuable information that he was always willing to share. I always enjoyed seeing him and his wife Jenie at ORCA conventions.

Roger
Wayne B.
Super Board Poster

Post by Wayne B. »

I had never met Don in person, but we communicated on Reel Talk and PM's often. Probably 8-10 years ago I was restoring a Coxe 15 and was missing a screw. He told me he knew exactly what I needed and he would make one for me. A week later I received a letter in the mail which contained a small zip-lock with 3 or 4 screws that he had made and a kind note of encouragement in my collecting. What a true gentleman and a superb craftsman. He will be missed by many.
Wayne Benson
ORCA Member, 2009
Waynesreelcollectibles.weebly.com
colby sorrells
Super Board Poster

Post by colby sorrells »

Don helped me more than once with old magazines I couldn't find anywhere else. He always helped where he could. He will be missed.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Sad, sad news! As a result of my interests we didn't communicate a lot but I always respected his knowledge and willingness to help those in need.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

So, so sad to hear this. Don was always the gentleman with the gentle soul who never failed to offer help when needed. He knew his stuff down to the gnat's eyebrow and I will miss his expertise and friendship. A hui hou, Don.

At Harper's Ferry in 2018 with Richard Lodge

Aloha
Brian F.
_________

ORCA Member 1997
Got a spare reel stamped "Pflueger" or a Montague Imperial?
"Caution, objects in reel view mirror are older than they appear."
Bill Muth
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Muth »

We lost one of the great ones in Don. Always willing to help, nice to the core, and a great advocate and asset for ORCA. RIP Don.
Wanted: Horton, Bristol & Meek reels, reel boxes, and catalogs!!!!
leland99
Advanced Board Poster

Post by leland99 »

So sad to hear of Don's passing. His seminar at Harper's Ferry had me mesmerized. I took a lot of notes and even acquired many of the tools he suggested for doing repair work on reels. I wish I had the chance to know him better! Bryce
Bryce Tawney
The Reel Packrat

Packing these reels into my nest hole: Talbot, Milam, Meek, Horton, Heddon, Wm Shakespeare Jr, and small diameter skeleton fly reels!
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

Such sad news. Don was so helpful and just a really great guy. I’m just glad we met in person. We have lost a fine man.

Bob Miller
Jim Schottenham
Super Board Poster

Post by Jim Schottenham »

What terrible news. Don was the epitome of a reel collector - passionate about the hobby, never refusing to help fellow collectors and always eager to learn more though he certainly already knew more than most. I always looked forward to seeing Don when I went to the ORCA nationals, he never failed to teach me a little something he found while doing research. Rest in peace my friend.
Jim Schottenham
ORCA Honorary member
www.SideMountReels.com
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

Friendly, modest, knowledgable, always willing to help the beginner or experienced reel collector. He set an example for everyone in the club. A sad day indeed.
I love to get old reels, work on them until they run as smooth as silk and the take them fishing using pre-1960 plugs, mostly surface fishing for Largemouths after dark.
Scott E
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Scott E »

A sad day. Don will be remembered fondly by many here and sorely missed. I knew from conversations and seminars with him at ORCA shows over the last several years that he was a special guy, bright and thoughtful, passionate about his interests and willing to share so much of his time, knowledge and advice with fellow members like myself. He made a positive impact on a lot of people. I have been fortunate to meet many, many ORCA members that have those same qualities. That spirit lives on.
arley
Advanced Board Poster

Post by arley »

I first met Don outside in the smoking lounge at Orca ‘18 (Harpers Ferry). Had some nice conversations and he was a true gentleman. RIP.
you can tune a piano,but you can't tuna fish.
Robin Sayler
Super Board Poster

Post by Robin Sayler »

Oh no! Don helped me many times over the years with fixes I thought were impossible. I always enjoyed talking with him at the conventions. I will miss him greatly.
I would like any unusual pflueger casting reels!
Kevin McJunkin
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Kevin McJunkin »

I met Don at his reel repair seminar at Harper's Ferry and talked with him afterwards about a few reel repair issues I have had. I'm not mechanically inclined but he never made me feel dumb - he was always helpful and generous with his knowledge. I enjoy tinkering with reels in part due to his encouragement. I will miss him also.
- Kevin
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Post by reeltackle »

So sorry to hear about Don,
All the best to his family and may he rest in peace.
Ed Pritchard
http://www.AntiqueFishingReels.com
ORCA Charter Member "First Paid Member"
Honorary Life Member

"Reels As Big As Your Head" Always looking for BIG game reels and anything else that might go along.
Jim Madden
Super Board Poster

Post by Jim Madden »

When I screwed up on a reel restoration, Don was there. He was the elder gentleman of the reel collection community for all of us. It's hard to believe he's gone. So incredibly sad.
Desperately seeking SB reel #100A, a #600 box. JMadden
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Post by Jonathan P. Kring »

So sorry to hear. He helped me greatly when I took over from him for a brief period of time as librarian. Nice guy. God rest his soul. "Marion The Librarian"
Cast your cares upon the Lord. Psalm 55:22
Then He said to them, "follow Me and I will Make you fishers of men". Matthew 4:19
BirdDog
Advanced Board Poster

Post by BirdDog »

Very Sad to hear. I always enjoyed talking to Don. We would talk about reels and machining and other projects. He was always ready to help out with information on a reel or if you needed a part fabricated. If I ran across a reel that might interest him . I would pass on the information . I had a few that he added to his collection . He will be greatly missed. I am glad that I was able to meet him and his wife Ginny on a few occasions.

Don