Decisions, Decisions, Dilemma

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Reelman2
Advanced Board Poster

Decisions, Decisions, Dilemma

Post by Reelman2 »

Within the last year I decided to start two new collections. The first is a narrow spool collection and the second is a tournament reel collection. Here is my dilemma. Perhaps you have had the same dilemma. In the first pics you see what most people would say are true Narrow spool reels. I am not exactly sure what measurements most people use to call it a true narrow spool. In the second pics you see what are
idered true Tournament reels; regular size body with a wood arbor and a tournament handle. Now in the third set of pics you see narrow spool reels with wood arbors and most with tournament handles. So my dilemma is does the last group go in the Narrow spool group or the Tournament. Heaven forbid I should have to start a third group for ones that are a combination of both.

Finally got pics but not in right order. Hope you can make them out.
Last edited by Reelman2 on Sat May 23, 2020 3:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Collect mostly Ky style reels; Meek, Heddon, Horton, Pflueger Redifor and Worth, etc.

ORCA Member
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Re: Decisions, Decisions, Dilemma

Post by wrong99 »

Photos, photos, photos...
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

I would start a third collection of frankenarnament reels.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Hope you can downsize and reload the photos. Please let me know if you need help.
Aloha
Brian F.
_________

ORCA Member 1997
Got a spare reel stamped "Pflueger" or a Montague Imperial?
"Caution, objects in reel view mirror are older than they appear."
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Sounds like some great reels. I can’t wait to see the photos.

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Reelman2
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Reelman2 »

I tried making them smaller but it didn't do any good
Collect mostly Ky style reels; Meek, Heddon, Horton, Pflueger Redifor and Worth, etc.

ORCA Member
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

I remail photos I want to post on Reel Talk to myself from my iPhone to my iPad as “medium” (147 KB) when the image size is too large, and that works.

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Eric J
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Eric J »

You will have narrow and wide spools in the tournament group, and so IMHO would just keep the two classes. They are tournament reels that just happen to be narrow spooled. A great collection for sure!
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

What's the model number on that sweet little Shakespeare?
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Steve’s “point” is well taken...handles get mixed and unmatched ad libitum and have been for 50+ years, so there is a lot of “blending”. On top of that, theory Tournament became a go-to sales ploy, MHO, where you see baitcasters from Shakes, SB, Montague, etc called tournament with nothing I see as unique.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

I agree with Ron: that little Shakespeare with the braid on the rim plate is the bomb. Very nice collection.

What is the spool width of the Talbot vs the Shakespeare? Thanks.

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Reelman2
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Reelman2 »

Regarding the sweet little Shake reel, I recently purchased it from a person who frequents these sights. It is in deed a 1" wide narrow spool Shake. It is a 40 yd one. The Talbot reels are a little over 1-1/2 " wide. I also have a 60 yd 1" Shake. I have 10 of the 16 different sizes. If anyone can help me fill in the gaps please let me know. Thanks for noticing Ron and Mike.

ORCA Member
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Nice addition on that little Shakespeare. Every time I see one, which is still probably a handful of times in my lifetime, I'll think about my friend, Jack Bright, who spent almost his entire collecting lifetime looking for one. It was so nice to see his reaction when I got to see one finally put into his hands at the 2006 Lake George convention.
Aloha
Brian F.
_________

ORCA Member 1997
Got a spare reel stamped "Pflueger" or a Montague Imperial?
"Caution, objects in reel view mirror are older than they appear."
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

So, what model is that "little" Shakespeare?
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Yes, Bill, what’s on the bottom of the Shakes foot?
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Reelman2
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Reelman2 »

That little 40 yd reel is Shakespeare Perfect with the number 11651 on the back plate.

ORCA Member
Reelman2
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Reelman2 »

That little 40 yd Shakespeare reel has the number 11651 on the back plate. I just recently got this little gem and it cost me plenty. It is a 1910 Jr. model.

ORCA Member
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Bill,if you haven’t already done so, have a look at Lorne Hirsch’s site for some production tournament reels that are nice and moderately priced...maybe there’s an add or two for your budding collection!

https://www.angling-artifacts.com/store ... Reels.html

John
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

I also collect narrow spool and tournament reels, as well as Kentucky reels. Sometimes a reel fits in all three categories, but it is not hard for me to select one category. I don't think the Frankenstein category is needed. It all depends on your definitions, and how they change and mature over time. I have had some great discussions with Colby Sorrells on what is in his narrow spool collection. Here is a quote from him:
Just for me the reels I collect have to be mass produced, narrow spool, tournament casting reels. There's been a lot of discussion about this in the past by many others. FOR ME, it is simply a way to define the type of reel I am looking to collect.

In some ways it is an intent. I believe it was Phil White that first talked about this in an old ORCA Reel News article (I'll have to find it). I think it was Phil that said a lot of old, small reels (many which would be considered narrow spool) were in fact made for fly fishing use and never intended as tournament casting reels.

The Noris is certainly a narrow spool reel but I don't think it was ever intended to be used as a tournament casting reel.

So the reels I am looking for also by definition would have been made between 1930 and about 1972. Again, please understand this is just my definition.

The 1930 date was established by the casting clubs, allowing the use of a leader (or trace) that year for the first time. This is pretty well documented in the casting newsletter and articles. So that is the start FOR ME.

The end is a little cloudy because there were certainly casting tournaments after 1972 and certainly narrow spool reels sold for tournament casting use after 1972. That's the reason I include a few reels made after 1972 but that's about the time they ended.
My definition of narrow spool reels would include some of the earlier reels by Shakespeare from around 1910, which I justify as not strictly hand made and intended for wider usage. But that is pretty arbitrary and fuzzy I would think.

I also include almost everything used in tournaments, including salt water or surf casting tournaments. That turns out to be large also.

One issue you encounter if you collect such broad categories is you can end up with 100's of reels. I have decided to start grouping reels into the best 36 of each category. That was an arbitrary number I ended up with because the reel displays I like happen to fit 36 reels nicely. Anything extra goes on the shelves and sometimes creeps back into the case or goes to trade or shows.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
colby sorrells
Super Board Poster

Post by colby sorrells »

Here's Phil's write up on narrow spool reels.

Keepin' It Fun!

Colby