Dismantling Reels

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Stef Duma
Advanced Board Poster

Dismantling Reels

Post by Stef Duma »

Can anyone recommend a good set of screwdrivers for dismantling reels.

I have some high end reels that I want to examine.

Also any tips or advise welcome.
Steve
Star Board Poster

Re: Dismantling Reels

Post by Steve »

Stef, I treated myself to one of these sets several years ago, and it has been worth every dime (or tuppence, or whatever).

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

+1

...with the one caveat that Mark Williams mentioned when we previously discussed this set, there is a bit of a gap in dealing with the smallest of screws we run into. For those, I have a set 4 Wiha drivers, made in Germany, that have been honed a bit on a stone to get a finer edge.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Post by reeltackle »

I’ve been using these for several years and am quite pleased with them. Obviously ... I don’t line mine back up quite as neatly after using them as Mr. Pie.
Ed Pritchard
http://www.AntiqueFishingReels.com
ORCA Charter Member "First Paid Member"
Honorary Life Member

"Reels As Big As Your Head" Always looking for BIG game reels and anything else that might go along.
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

During the 2018 ORCA Reel Restoration Workshop, Don Champion briefly discussed early screws. He explained how to use a feeler gauge blade to work with pre-1930 straight-sided screw slots. He demonstrated a method shown in the ORCA Reel Restoration Workshop video available from the store.

For even earlier handmade screws with sharp "V" slots, I have been cautiously using a thick and sturdy pocket knife blade. However, that is risky. A better approach would be to make a custom tool by grinding a screwdriver to suit. For counter-sunk screw heads, the wide blade substitutes won't work.
Last edited by Paul M on Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Brownells, Wheeler and Wiha seem to be most serious reel techs' choices, at least from those that I've talked to.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Reelman2
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Reelman2 »

Like many of you, I had been searching for years for a set of screwdrivers that fit the bill for reels but with no success. I even ordered a small set of gunsmith screwdrivers that had individual screwdrivers in the set. Even these didn't work well. Often the screwdrivers I was using either did't fit the groove well or if it did the handle was too small to put any torque on the screw. Then about a year ago I was in Lowes. I was looking at screwdriver sets and ran across this small set by craftsman. It is black and red and comes with a nice handle that you can get torque with. It is one that if you are pushing down on the handle end the rest of the barrel will spin but not where your palm is. It comes with 5 different size flat head tips that are phillips on the other end. It also comes with 4 star tips which I never use. They work great. So if you want something that doesn't cost an arm and leg but does the trick try this little set for $10.
Collect mostly Ky style reels; Meek, Heddon, Horton, Pflueger Redifor and Worth, etc.

ORCA Member
Stef Duma
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Stef Duma »

Many thanks for all the suggestions I have Boshield on the recommendation of Bulldog many years ago. It costs a fortune here.

Should I spray the screws before attempting to undo?
KIWI
Advanced Board Poster

Post by KIWI »

Stef I would recommend the Wheeler set that Steve posted the info on. Have found this set to get 90% of the jobs done right out of the case. However there are some slotted screws, especially on the EVH and some Kentucky reels that required a little different profile. So I bought another set and built these bits to fit so to speak. So now I'm at around 98% with plenty of spare bits to tweek. They are of a high quality for sure. Doug
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Stef, get a good fit and give the screws a try first. Just spraying lubricant on the outside will just interfere with the grip of your screwdriver. A key in addition to having a good fit is getting a solid, flat hold on the reel. At a minimum, you want the reel flat on a bench and take a stance the will allow the blade to set straight in the slot as you turn. If the screw is stubborn, you can wrap the reel in a towel and hold in a vice so you can use two hands, one turning and one steadying the tool. Typically, 4 screws will come out easily and one will always stick! You can then resort to trying a penetrating oil.

BTW, if you don’t have the Club’s reel restoration book, you should order one from the orca store or ask that one be posted by oldreelcollector on eBay (that’s us)...makes it easy to order and paypal for it.

John
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Stef,

Another little trick to loosen stubborn screws taken from mechanics is to first turn the screw slightly (a very, very little) by tightening it. Generally that will break loose any corrosion in the threads and will allow it to back out easily. I've learned over the years to always tighten a little bit first and loosen second.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Stef Duma
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Stef Duma »

Many thanks for all the help and advise. I will have to get an English version of the gunsmiths screws or a UK supplier when they open tomorrow.
SilasTerry
Frequent Board Poster

Post by SilasTerry »

I do a bit of gunsmithing as well as reel collecting. My advice whenever anyone asks how to match a screwdriver or turnscrew to a particular screw or pin is to get a pile of cheap screwdrivers and a benchgrinder or bench belt sander (I use a sanding belt type knife sharpener from Cabelas) and if you do not have the exact fit, take a cheap screwdriver and grind it accordingly. Advanced cases may also require a torch and a tuna can of quenching oil, but not usually. Very easy.
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

A pile of screwdrivers, a bench grinder, a bench sander, a torch, a tuna can of quenching oil? All that to turn a screw? I'd be so worn out, or broke, that I'd never get to the reel. I'm sure all that works, though.
Stef Duma
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Stef Duma »

Many thanks for all the advise the majority of gunsmith tools come from USA and as I needed them urgently I took advise from
https://www.pottsprecision.com/blog/201 ... orer-needs

I purchased 3 screwdrivers made in the Czech republic 3/16 1/4 and 5/16 based on the fact that the majority of the reels I want to open up are at least 100 years old. I will also use the tea towel.

I will update you.
Tightlines666
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Tightlines666 »

I use the Brownell's mag set and a full set of standard hollowground drivers as well.