Old Zebco 800, plastic oxidation, color changes

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
creekman
Big ORCA Fan

Old Zebco 800, plastic oxidation, color changes

Post by creekman »

Friends, I have an old near mint Zebco 800 from the early 1970's in my collection. The dark green plastic it's outer shell is made from develops an almost white, chalky looking film or aura. Is it oxidation? I can take an armor all cloth and wipe it down with it, and it shines like its brand new, but it doesn't last, and the chalky aura soon returns. Is there anything I can spray or wipe the plastic covers with to eliminate or forestall this film, appearance, from developing on this Zebco 800?
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Old Zebco 800, plastic oxidation, color changes

Post by john elder »

That is also a problem with many plastic lures. I used to wipe them down with WD-40, but I can’t guarantee how long it lasts. Gel-Gloss will also clean it off. But I fear any cleaning effort will be short-lived :(
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
creekman
Big ORCA Fan

Post by creekman »

Thanks john! I guess it's indicative of the plastic of the time. I'll try Reel Magic too.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

A lot of guys like the various Novus rubbing compounds. They take a lot of elbow grease, though.

I use a hard bristle tooth brush to remove the chalky film and then polish with Plastkolite Plastic Cleaner . After I have the chalkiness gone and original finish back I give it a thin/fine rubbed on coat of Flood Penetrol to keep the film from returning. I do it all the time on ABU plastic spools, handle knobs, etc. and they retain their original color and look great.
Last edited by kyreels on Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: bad URL
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
creekman
Big ORCA Fan

Post by creekman »

Thanks Midway. You've got it down good! I'll check into those too.