Penn Squidder Spool History

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Brandon G
Big ORCA Fan

Penn Squidder Spool History

Post by Brandon G »

Hello Guys,

I was curious if someone could tell me which came first/when they came out with the Plastic, Bronze/chrome, or the aluminum spool for the Penn 140 Squidder.

I've been looking for some details any whatnot but I'm running out of resources... trying to find catalogs online to see when the differentiation is noted, if it is at all.
Brandon G
Big ORCA Fan

Re: Penn Squidder Spool History

Post by Brandon G »

Wow....

Sometimes I can't read..

Mystic had my information.

HISTORY:
The 140 Squidder was the first of the Squidder-series created, and it's still manufactured today, albeit with new materials. The 1941 version of this reel featured a light weight plastic spool and a nickel-silver frame, and was also available as a left-handed model (confusingly, this left handed model was number 140L). In the late 80's the 140L was manufactured, featuring an aluminum spool, and the left handed model of this version became the 140L-LH.
The 145 Squidder was the second Squidder to enter the Squidder-series. In the early 60's this reel was manufactured for the first time, it was discontinued around 1980.
The 146 Squidder was the third and final Squidder to enter the Squidder-series. In the early 60's this reel was manufactured for the first time and was manufactured until Penn discontinued it in the year 2000. In 1985 the first light-weight aluminum spool versions became available, as model 146L.