Who made this reel?

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
mgerhard
Big ORCA Fan

Who made this reel?

Post by mgerhard »

Hi all,
I do not collect alot of reels, other than a few I have put with appropriate era lures.

I have this reel, acquired around 1995 and the older gentlemen I got it from said it came from a fish cabin on the little miami river in southwest Ohio mid to late 1930's. It was with and I continue to display it on a 5 foot Gephart 3 piece tube steel rod.

I always thought the reel may have been made by Bronson. Notice the two thumbscrews that remove face plate, for spool replacement and or cleaning.
I haven't seen another at any lure show, although, have seen several of the 'States' named reels with a couple in boxes, so possibly, made by the United States reel co...?

I'm I correct? if not, does anyone have any information different than what I'm thinking?

Thanks for looking and any information on this neat reel - the only stamping - The NEW YORKER SPECIAL No. 1880 - on the end plate.

If anyone has an extra, I am looking for an E.A Pflueger era WORTH Standard reel. To my dismay, I missed a chance at one offered at Langs Auction this past spring...Work always gets in the way of FUN.

Thanks,
Mike Gerhard
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: Who made this reel?

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
mgerhard
Big ORCA Fan

Re: Who made this reel?

Post by mgerhard »

Hi Tommy D.
Thanks for the reply.
Appreciate the linked info. at least I was close on it being a Bronson...a nice little wall hanger. :)