ID assistance please

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
corbo
Frequent Board Poster

ID assistance please

Post by corbo »

I need a helping hand. The little guy is 2" dia. x 1 3/16" spool width overall. It is not marked, strong click in VG condition. Montague? The new to me rodmount I'm 99.9% certain is Hendryx, I hope as first addition to my RP Hendryx gaggle in a coon's age. 2 1/8" dia. x 1" spool width overall. The mount is 2 1/2 long and 1 1/8 diameter. Unmarked other than a "0, 8, or 6" that can barely be seen on the bottom of the foot where the Hendryx yard mark should be. The foot is riveted so closely to the mount that it's impossible to tell. The combo is in wonderful condition. Thanks in advance for confirmation or otherwise, and identification of the little fly reel. Dave
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Re: ID assistance please

Post by reelsmith. »

I've seen the one on the left referred to as French-made on a couple of UK sites.

Dean.
Wanted: Kosmic Items, Small Leather Fly Reel Cases, Early Fishing Related Bottles, Fly Reels and Pre-1900 Angling/Casting Medals.

http://www.tackletreasures.com/
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

I doubt the raised pillar is a Hendryx. A Hendryx would have a typical Hendryx foot attached with U-shaped rivets to the bottom pillars. U.S. Net & Twine made a very similar reel.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
corbo
Frequent Board Poster

Post by corbo »

Thank you Steve re: the rod mount reel....I think. Goes to show you when you think you know enough about a particular reel maker you eventually learn otherwise. this one a rather expensive lesson but one learned. Did Hendryx only use the U shaped rivets to attach the foot to the bottom pillars? Or did they also use other methods? Having looked at all the little RP Hendryx's I have, it appears that it is. Color me stupid :bash: Dave
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Dave, I think I found your reel in a 1914(?) Wyeth Hardware & Mfg. Co., St. Joseph, Mo., catalog:

The other news is that there's a pic on another page that IDs the maker, based on the foot marking:

This helps to confirm my feeling that Pflueger, except for the original Supreme, added almost nothing significant to reel engineering for decades. And I'm guessing that they either copied their early reels or had them made elsewhere.

BTW, no need for the "stupid" appellation...besides, stupid lives matter.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

corbo
Frequent Board Poster

Post by corbo »

Steve.....SLM....now, that is a hoot. :D Thank you for your help and for posting the ad which clearly shows the U shaped rivets. This reel does not have those. I'll take some additional photos today as I'll be listing it to try to get whole. Will post a couple pix to better show the foot fitment to the bottom pillars. There is a mark of some sort in the center on the bottom of the foot but there is no way to tell what it is as is so close to the rod mount. Before I list it I would appreciate your best guess as to who made it and maybe when.....if it's Pflueger or otherwise, so be it. Thanks again. Dave
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

...the ad which clearly shows the U shaped rivets
Dave, a closer look at the ad will show that the upturned flanges on the foot are not U-shaped rivets. I'm sure the ad shows your reel. It's a Pflueger, and the catalog is from 1914, I believe.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

corbo
Frequent Board Poster

Post by corbo »

Took photos and need no need to post. They are upturned as you have noted, and will list it as a PF. Thank you for your time and assistance .We need SPLM in this great but faltering country. Smart People Lives Matter, they will hopefully prevail but I have guarded doubt.
corbo
Frequent Board Poster

Post by corbo »

Steve,
I relisted the mount reel several days ago. I have a several dozen singles of 25/40/60 RP Hendryx, the majority of which are baitcasters. All I looked at did confirm the U shaped foot attachment. However, messing around with three parts reels I stumbled across a pre-Winchester 40 yd RP bait caster stamped "HENDRYX" on the face with the same upturned flange foot attachment as on the mount reel as shown

So, now I am confused. It certainly appears to me that at some point Hendryx did use the upturned flange method. That is, unless Pflueger or another copied this little guy and marked it Hendryx. I have doubts on that scenario as it is clearly a Hendryx.
At any rate, I delisted the mount reel. The foot itself clearly speaks Hendryx. I'm certainly not disputing your assessment but from this twist I'm now not convinced that it is not Hendryx. Would appreciate your thought Steve, or from anyone else. Thanks. Dave
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

I've seen those Hendryx reels, too, but have never been sure they're pre-Winchester. Sigh...

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

The grip looks like Winchester, but the face plate stamping looks earlier. Is the yardage mark under the foot underlined?
corbo
Frequent Board Poster

Post by corbo »

there is a mark but it cannot be read as is so close to the rod mount. All I can see is I thin a 0.
corbo
Frequent Board Poster

Post by corbo »

There is no underlined yard mark on the baitcaster indicating it is pre-Winchester.