Bache Brown Mastereel Model 4

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
RichS
Big ORCA Fan

Bache Brown Mastereel Model 4

Post by RichS »

I was recently inventorying my very modest Bache Brown reel collection and came across something that seemed odd to me. I am wondering if anyone else has encountered this. I have what looks like,for all intents and purposes, a Model 4 Mastereel. However, the detachable side plate showing the model number looks different from the Model 4 pictures that I have seen. The model 4 pictures show the word "Model" in raised letters and the number "4" appearing to be clearly stamped inside a recessed circle. The reel I have appears to have the number "3" originally stamped inside of a recessed circle, with what appears to be a number "4" faintly stamped over the top of it. I have attached photos that show the model number as well as the reel to verify that it is a Model 4. I apologize for the resoultion, but it is very difficult to read in person.

Could this be something that was done at the factory because they ran out of Model 4 sideplates? The sideplate seems to be original to the reel since it matches the condition and flat-black color of the rest of the reel. Please let me know what you all think.

Rich Slusher

spadej1
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Bache Brown Mastereel Model 4

Post by spadej1 »

I believe I have seen this before and if memory serves me it is mentioned in Bob Halver’s Airex book. Much like other companies at the time, they were probably using up old stock at the beginning of the model changeover.
-James-
New to reel collecting so bear with me please. I like reel deals!
RichS
Big ORCA Fan

Post by RichS »

Thanks. I have Mr. Halver's book and could not find any mention of this. I will look some more.
Montrose Mike
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Montrose Mike »

Rich, like you, I wondered about the "4 over 3" stamp on a recently acquired Bache Brown Mastereel Model 4. I came across your post while researching the model marks. As you can see from the attached photo, my reel's overmark is just a little clearer than yours. I wonder if this "'mint error" makes our reels any more valuable? :) Anyhow, thanks for your post, as it explains that this is not a one-off occurrence.
arley
Advanced Board Poster

Post by arley »

As an old timer coin collector , I think you may have a double die obverse. It made the 1955 cent worth a lot. -ha!
you can tune a piano,but you can't tuna fish.