Identifying ORVIS 1874 reels by back plate only

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Identifying ORVIS 1874 reels by back plate only

Post by Mike N »

I recently had an ORCA member contact me about identifying the various “models” of Orvis patent 1874 perforated fly reels.

Orvis catalogs in the late 1890s noted a change from riveted to screw construction. Orvis called this the “improved” model and noted a stronger rim plate (“safety band”) was added to the No.2 bass model. This change happened some time between catalog #17 (ca. 1895) and catalog #22 (ca.1900).

However, reel collectors often use their own terms, labeling the evolving variations First Model, Second Model, Third Model and recently, Fourth Model (the No. 2 “improved” model for bass with the overhanging rim plate).

Here is a quick way to (usually) identify each of these four models from the rear plate:

First Model (rivets; no rear bearing cap, no patent date; etched patent date on foot)

Second Model (rivets; rear “button” bearing cap with 1874 patent date)

Third Model (screws; rear “nipple” bearing cap surrounded by printed patent info)

Fourth Model (screws; rear nipple bearing cap and drag/click button; reinforced overhanging “safety band” rim plate)

Last edited by Mike N on Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Stef Duma
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Identifying ORVIS 1874 reels by back plate only

Post by Stef Duma »

Many thanks Mike its very much appreciated.
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Thanks for posting this Mike.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
Scott E
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Scott E »

Thanks Mike!

Very helpful, especially now I’ll know the difference between 3rd and 4th models!
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

One thing my study of Orvis 1874 reels has taught me is the importance of handling what at first glance appear to be “duplicates” of the same reel. Even reels that are the same model have subtle differences in condition and features, and it takes serious observation to reveal their secrets.

In fact, until you actually put your hands on several hundred Kentucky reels (oh, how I yearn for the return of live tackle shows) and studied the nuances with your own eyes, you can’t really quantify your expertise. I defended a counterfeiting case 20 years where the US Secret Service agent on the stand could tell by the fiber texture of the bill in his hand if it was a fake. That came after decades of handling currency, he told me.

So, if you have a serious interest in a specific model reel, don’t hesitate to buy several so-called duplicates to put on your work desk for comparison and study. At first glance a few years ago, all Orvis 1874 patent models looked alike to me, which, as we can see from the above, is clearly not the case.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

Point well taken Mike.
Jason
Super Board Poster

Post by Jason »

It looks like the 1st version has more perforations than the 2nd version. Is that the case?
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

Here's a nuance I haven't seen before. The Talbot patent date is stamped on the inside of a "Niangua" reel's head plate. The date is normally stamped on the bottom of the reel's foot.
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

RonG wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:28 am

Here's a nuance I haven't seen before. The Talbot patent date is stamped on the inside of a "Niangua" reel's head plate. The date is normally stamped on the bottom of the reel's foot.
Great find, Ron. It takes a lot of guts and a good set of jewelers screwdrivers to make that move.
Last edited by Mike N on Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Jason wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:21 pm It looks like the 1st version has more perforations than the 2nd version. Is that the case?
Jason, it does appear that the nearest to the center ring of perforations does step down from 13 in number on the First Model to 12 on the Second Model and then to 11 on the Third Model....good observation.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Stef Duma
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Stef Duma »

Fantastic information I need to write something about it for a friend.

Thanks Mike.
Stef Duma
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Stef Duma »

I want to thank Mike for all the help that he has given me in understanding the 1874 patent reel.

I have put this on the Antique Tackle Observer website.

https://www.antiquetackleobserver.com/2 ... tent-reel/

There is a link to Reeltalk and hopefully we might get a few more sign ups.
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Stef Duma wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:23 pm I want to thank Mike for all the help that he has given me in understanding the 1874 patent reel.

Very nice article on your beautiful website, Stef. Glad to have been of some help. After all, to paraphrase George Bernard Shaw, “ The United States and Great Britain are two countries separated only by a common love of fly reels.”

Mike N.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Stef Duma
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Stef Duma »

Mike N wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:59 pm
Stef Duma wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:23 pm I want to thank Mike for all the help that he has given me in understanding the 1874 patent reel.

Very nice article on your beautiful website, Stef. Glad to have been of some help. After all, to paraphrase George Bernard Shaw, “ The United States and Great Britain are two countries separated only by a common love of fly reels.”

Mike N.
Thats very apt Mike, once again thank you for all of your help.
Eric J
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Eric J »

In the first photo of the First Model, there seems to have been something round covering the center bearing. There is a circular wear mark around the post. Are all First Models as shown in the photo, or do others have some circular covering?