Shakespeare 1900 Steelhead Trout Prototype?

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
desertangler
Advanced Board Poster

Shakespeare 1900 Steelhead Trout Prototype?

Post by desertangler »

Hi Everyone,

Here is a very interesting reel, and possibly an unmarked prototype Shakespeare 1900 Steelhead Trout fly reel. This is the only green colored one I have ever come across. Typical Shakespeare colors include matte black and black anodized aluminum, and a red anodized version was made for South Bend. These show up in Shakespeare catalogs from 1936 through 1940. BTW, 1940 lists unusual "1/2" models "1899 1/2" and "1900 1/2." I wonder if they were marked like that.

More info on the reels here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15113&p=68739&hilit ... out#p68739

Mine appears to be the Shakespeare forest green, with an anodized spool face plate and spool. The frame is probably green lacquer (BTW, if anyone knows of a modern version of this lacquer, please PM me). There are some striking differences from the standard 1900 and big brother 1899 models, including:

Unmarked except for "Made in USA" and "Patented" on the foot.
Weight 7.3 oz vs. 8.2 oz for 1900 model
Riveted vs. screwed frame
No line guard
Green aluminum foot vs. chrome plated foot
Rounded edge of the frame vs. flat edge
Drag adjust block doesn't have notch for spring. Suggests early in design phase?

Since it doesn't have the back spool cover that apparently was added in response to Hardy's patent infringement, I would suspect it was early in development of the Steelhead Trout reels.

Now for the photos :D

Anyone ever come across a similar reel? What do you think, an early prototype?
Last edited by desertangler on Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
:fished Reely Easy Going ORCA Member
bamboocollector11
Frequent Board Poster

Re: Shakespeare 1900 Steelhead Trout Prototype?

Post by bamboocollector11 »

The foot is green too; right?
desertangler
Advanced Board Poster

Post by desertangler »

Yes, green foot too.

I noticed one of the model 1900 black reels that Ron Mc posted had a black foot instead of nickel plated.
https://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/ ... f=4&t=7179
desertangler
Advanced Board Poster

Post by desertangler »

Another one just sold on eBay!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-unmark ... 890.l49292

Even more intriguing! If anyone has seen one of these reels before or has any info, please let us know.

George
Greely
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Greely »

Hey George, I was the lucky bidder who won this auction. Paid a pretty penny but well with it to finish off this collection.
From what I can tell it has the exact differences in design as the model you have. The insides are green, no groove in the tensioner mechanism and the spool edge has a squareness to it. It is also riveted and not screwed together. No markings to reel except patent on the foot. She’s a real beauty and sounds just like it’s younger siblings. Can’t wait to get some trout on this baby!

colby sorrells
Super Board Poster

Post by colby sorrells »

As the ORCA News article said "Just Too Pretty to Fish With!"

Keepin' It Fun!

Colby
desertangler
Advanced Board Poster

Post by desertangler »

That's awesome Greely! Looks beautiful in the set. Glad it was reunited with its siblings :D
desertangler
Advanced Board Poster

Post by desertangler »

More info - and a definitive answer to the origin and production year for the green colored "Salmon" Steelhead Trout reel.

Ron Mc had previously told me that this line of reels first showed up in Shakespeare's 1935 production line. That agrees with the date code on marked reels. However, this green colored reel is unmarked.

I accidentally came across the first description of this line of reels in Shakespeare's 1935 catalog (incorrectly identified as 1934 in ORCA library). It is introduced for this first year as "Salmon Reel" Nos. 1899 and 1900. It's also listed as "dark green" in color! This appears to be the only year they were produced in green, and the 1936 catalog lists the color as "gun metal."

Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Good sleuthing, George! :cool
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
leland99
Advanced Board Poster

Post by leland99 »

desertangler wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:09 am I accidentally came across the first description of this line of reels in Shakespeare's 1935 catalog (incorrectly identified as 1934 in ORCA library). It is introduced for this first year as "Salmon Reel" Nos. 1899 and 1900.
George, thanks for mentioning the possible misidentification in the ORCA Library. I went back and checked and found the catalog you reference labeled as 1934B Shakespeare Catalog. The B reference was an old label intended to distinguish it from another 1934 Catalog we had in the library. I believe the context of this catalog makes it a late-in-the-year 1934 Dealers update catalog. As you noted it introduces new model reels for 1935 including the 1899 and 1900. It also has corrections and additions to the 1934D original Dealer's catalog, as well as dealer discounts for product orders placed in November and December.

Thanks for demonstrating the value of the ORCA library for researching early reels!
Bryce Tawney
The Reel Packrat

Packing these reels into my nest hole: Talbot, Milam, Meek, Horton, Heddon, Wm Shakespeare Jr, and small diameter skeleton fly reels!
desertangler
Advanced Board Poster

Post by desertangler »

Thanks Bryce, that makes complete sense!

The library is an invaluable resource. I greatly appreciate the efforts of all that have made it what it is today and what it will be for future reel collectors!

George