Hardy Fly Fishing reels..need info

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
mogie
Big ORCA Fan

Hardy Fly Fishing reels..need info

Post by mogie »

Hello, I have beautiful Hardy fly fishing reels. I am trying to determine when they were manafactured, and would appreciate any assistance. Here is the info on each:
reel 1:
The “Sunbeam” Fly Reel
Made By Hardy Bros LTD.
Alnwick, England
Size 3”
Pat. Nos 145904 & USA 369867
Duplicated. Mark II

Reel 2:
The “Sunbeam” Fly Reel
Made By Hardy Bros LTD.
Alnwick, England
Size 3”
Pat. Nos 24245 & 9261 & USA 369867
Duplicated. Mark II

Let me know if more info is needed.
Thanks so much.
Mogie

Post by Guest »

Mogie--Hardy Sunbeam fly reels ; made in the 30s to 40s,see Lawson's
guide, values approx. In the $50 range--condition could add or subtract
20 to 30% fro that est. Good luck !
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

I don't have Lawson's book, but if it says that Sunbeams are worth $50 maybe that's why I don't buy price guides.

The Sunbeam and Sunbeam MKII were available from 1924 to 1956 and were made in three sizes: 2 3/4", 3", 3 1/4". As for value... I can't remember the last time I saw one sell for under $200.

Dean.
mogie
Big ORCA Fan

follow-up question

Post by mogie »

I appreciate the information thus far. However, is there no way to determine the exact year of manafacture, or at least narrow it down? I had hoped those patent numbers might offer a clue.

Thanks again, Mogie
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

I know of no way to determine exact year of manufacture. However:

1. If the foot is smooth brass (not ribbed on top) it is a pre-1928 reel.
2. If the finish is gray enamel (not blued) it is from the early 50s onward.

Sorry, the Sunbeam didn't change much and one from the late 20s will be pretty much the same as one made in the late 40s. Age will not likely affect value, but condition will.

Dean.

Post by Guest »

Does anyone know if they had the horseshoe latch from the twentys through to the fifties. If they changed over to the telephone latch like the Uniquas that might narrow down the age somewhat. Russ

Post by Guest »

Also forgot to mention the foot on the Sunbeam that I have is a stamped type of foot that is riveted onto the backplate and is smooth . I also own a 1960's Hardy Conquest that has the same type of foot that is smooth so I don't know if you can date your reels by the foot. Russ
mogie
Big ORCA Fan

How can I post of picture of the Hary reels?

Post by mogie »

This info has my head spinning (like a reel). I'd love to post photos of my reels which I believe have the brass the indicate they are pre-1928 models. Perhaps it canhelp clear up the conflicting info. I'm emabarassed to say I cannot figure out how to get the photos up. Any interest or instructions on this?

Also, would the little black handles be wood regardless of year? Bit hard to tell.

Embarassingly yours,

mogie

Post by Guest »

I am kinda computer challenged myself but someone else on this board might be willing to post them for you if you e-mail them to them. The handles on your reels should be made of a dark hard rubber type of material. Russ
mogie
Big ORCA Fan

Reply to Russ

Post by mogie »

Yes, the knobs are dark, but I was unsure if they were wood/plastic/bakelite/whatever.

As for photos, perhaps it's time to give up. Just seems like something I should have figured out, so I'm a bit miffed.

Again, thanks.

-Mogie[/list][/url]
Maybe this will help?

Post by Maybe this will help? »

A lot of people use this service to show photos...Picturetrail
http://www.picturetrail.com/