Reel ID help

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
40fordflathead
Advanced Board Poster

Reel ID help

Post by 40fordflathead »

Don’t know if the pix will show up. Reel is 2 1/4” wide by 2 1/4” dia, the handle pulls out approx 1/8” for free spool . Thumb dial to engage clicker, anti backlash knob on face plate. Shaft thru the reel with knurled knobs on either side to hold it together. Missing foot, all aluminum, the only marking is on the main gear (Boston g140). Any help would help. Thanks Bruce Harlan

Bruce Harlan
40fordflathead
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Reel ID help

Post by 40fordflathead »

A few more pix that might help.

Bruce Harlan
Dr. Rob
Super Board Poster

Post by Dr. Rob »

Well, Boston Gear is just that-- a big gear company from Boston, that makes gears. They do in fact have an item number 140. (spur gear, 48 DP, 14 1/2 PA, 40 teeth, brass. Sounds about right for a fishing reel)

Then there is the tubular one-piece frame... Not unique as such, but more unusual than not. I am sorta thinking that this looks like a homemade (by someone with a shop, of course) job. Tell me, are any of the parts anodized? Or were they dull and you shined it up? The thinking being that a lot of people can make a reel, but usually you need to find a company to anodize it. That is often an extra step and expense not always taken by the amateur reelmaker.

Oh, nice reel by the way.

Robert Janssen
Sweden
40fordflathead
Advanced Board Poster

Post by 40fordflathead »

Dr. Rob, thank you got your response. I have not polished the reel just cleaned in the ultrasonic. It does have some graying on the spool and end plate but still very smooth, a little rougher on the spool. It has been anodized. Thanks Bruce
Bruce Harlan
40fordflathead
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Reel ID help / Lang’s auction

Post by 40fordflathead »

I was just looking thru the new Lang’s auction. The same reel is listed lot #121. It has its foot, my reel does not. Any body have any input as to who made these? Thanks for your time.
Bruce Harlan
Bruce Harlan
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

Looks like one of the many unknown, mystery reels.