Is there a Shakespeare reel book (or one in progress)?

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
NJFisherman
Advanced Board Poster

Is there a Shakespeare reel book (or one in progress)?

Post by NJFisherman »

Has anyone published a book on Shakespeare reels and/or tackle? I see several posts and at least 33 Reel News articles on Shakespeare reels but no book. I found Eric Jeska's nice summarized history online as well. Anyway, I've begun the arduous task of logging the cataloged reels (for my reference purposes) but I don't want to re-create the wheel if I don't have to.

Dave Lucas
Dave Lucas
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Re: Is there a Shakespeare reel book (or one in progress)?

Post by wrong99 »

That would be the most daunting task ever attempted, except maybe doing a complete book on Montague rods and reels. Maybe it could be done by category (reels (regular models, then trade models), rods, etc.), but even those could take half a lifetime each. A trade reel section could take years. If a complete set of Shakespeare catalogs existed (which they don't, although we have most of them), then maybe the reel and rod models from Shakespeare's regular lineup could be done. I know when I posted just the Shakespeare fly rod catalog listings to both the bamboo and fiberglass forums, it took a couple months and the bamboo listings were not complete on the earlier models for lack of early catalogs. Good luck on whatever you do. I have many of the catalogs, from 1902 to roughly 1982, if you need help.
Mark
leland99
Advanced Board Poster

Post by leland99 »

If only there was a reference book. Before starting from scratch on logging the cataloged reels, start with the 2 lists that are within the Shakespeare section of the ORCA library. "Shakespeare Reel List - OLD" and "Shakespeare List Garrison". My understanding is the OLD version was compiled in early 1990's by Mr Ken Ward and the Garrison version was copied(?) from the OLD version by Mr Don Champion in 2012. They include reels from 1919-1977. Any contribution to help ID and document needed corrections or inclusions would be very useful to all interested in Shakespeare reels!
Bryce Tawney
The Reel Packrat

Packing these reels into my nest hole: Talbot, Milam, Meek, Horton, Heddon, Wm Shakespeare Jr, and small diameter skeleton fly reels!
colby sorrells
Super Board Poster

Post by colby sorrells »

The reel part of a Shakespeare book has to start with the Arthur Agentis book. I know most folks have not heard of this reference but the 2 "Shakespeare Reel List" both got their start with the Agentis book. Agentis was a long time Shakespeare employee and he put together a "book" with ALL of the Shakespeare reels. He published, and copyrighted, this book but only printed a few. It's basically a listing of all Shakespeare and Kalamazoo reels with the dates and numbers produced, and all of the different models. Harvey Garrison made his list from a copy of the Agentis book. The list the club has is from the Agentis book. I have traced the lineage of the other lists back to the Agentis Book. Agentis made his list using an old typewriter and it has some mistakes due to using the typewriter - the capital key was left on so the numbers/letters are incorrect - but this can easily be corrected and it is not a large number of items that need to be corrected.

BUT even with this corrected list this is only a small portion of the job of creating a Shakespeare book. Then you have the need for good photos. Most Shakespeare reels are basically silver or gray. Talk to a good photographer and he will tell you silver reels are difficult to shoot properly. That silver or gray turns black in many photos. I don't even try to shoot many silver reels because of this problem. I enlist (sometimes beg) a real photographer to help me with this problem.

Then you have to get into the who and why of these reels. WHO actually came up with the idea? WHY was this particular model added to the line-up? Very fun stuff but also a whole lot of work.

If you're just wanting a list of Shakespeare reels get a copy of the Agentis book. If you're looking for more than that, I'll help but I only know a little part of the complete story. I still think it's a job for several people not just one person. ORCA would be a great place for this project to get organized.

Keepin' It Fun!

Colby
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

wrong99 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:20 pm That would be the most daunting task ever attempted, except maybe doing a complete book on Montague rods and reels.
This. 100%.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
NJFisherman
Advanced Board Poster

Post by NJFisherman »

Well...thanks for the input. The existing lists will be useful. I would also agree that a complete Shakespeare reel book would be a huge bite, and, I wholeheartedly agree, not a one person effort, at least not by me. All I intend to do is organize existing documents into something I hope is more useful. Once upon a time I did this sort of thing before professionally, not with reels, but with other things. I've already tackled 1903 and 1904, which would appear to be the easiest. On the other hand it looks like the 1910 catalog has roughly 200 different models. I'm sure I'm in for some challenges! Also, if anyone is up for reviewing a draft and providing honest feedback, send me a note at lucasdavidm@gmail.com.

Mark, thanks for the offer on the catalog help. Some of the catalogs I do have are not the dealer version so if one exists then I will need it. I will be in touch after I get a better handle on what I have. In the meantime feel free to drop me a note. For that matter, any further thoughts on this task, by anyone, would be welcome.

Thanks again, Dave Lucas
Dave Lucas
colby sorrells
Super Board Poster

Post by colby sorrells »

Dave,
Just FYI the NFLCC has many Shakespeare catalogs on their website. Members can access on-line. While you may not care anything about "sticks with paint on them" it might be worth the small $35 membership fee to access these catalogs. I regularly use both ORCA and NFLCC website catalogs for my research. You can get the Shakespeare reel list from the club by contacting Roger with your request. This will get you at least close to 90% of a complete list, maybe more. If I can help just let me know. Keepin' It Fun! Colby
NJFisherman
Advanced Board Poster

Post by NJFisherman »

Thanks Colby! I'm on it - have downloaded all available from ORCA and NFLCC. I will probably call on you to review and critique...thanks for offering!
Dave Lucas
leland99
Advanced Board Poster

Post by leland99 »

Hi Dave, I am willing to assist in any way that I can also, so feel free to reach out!
Bryce Tawney
The Reel Packrat

Packing these reels into my nest hole: Talbot, Milam, Meek, Horton, Heddon, Wm Shakespeare Jr, and small diameter skeleton fly reels!
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

Having spent years of research writing books on Pflueger reels, I agree the task is daunting but like all meaningful endeavors the goal is worth the effort. Only caveat: Don’t give up!

Bad Bob
Roger Schulz
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Roger Schulz »

Dave

I started working on a book on Meisselbach reels about six months ago. I spend two hours a day on it and will take me to mid-summer to complete I estimate. Not an easy task. I was lucky enough to have all of Phil White's research material and his previous book to serve as a guide. I also am able to go to him for advise. I found that writing the book is just part of it. You also need to take good pictures to include in the book Color is the best, but not cheap. Give me a call sometime and I will talk with you about some of things that I learned in the process.
Roger
NJFisherman
Advanced Board Poster

Post by NJFisherman »

Good advice. Long winter here and I will need all of it to just get a good start I think. I've found that I could use a few more Shakespeare reels...another excuse to buy more...Hahaha!
Dave Lucas
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

So THAT was the motive. Now I understand!
Mark