UPDATED: Mitchell 308 Question

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
leland99
Advanced Board Poster

UPDATED: Mitchell 308 Question

Post by leland99 »

I recently picked up this small Mitchell 308 spinning reel. From the Mitchell Reel Museum website I was able to see that the 308 was made from 1959-1986 and there were multiple "versions" over the years. I am seeking help to identify the proper version of the reel I have. Mine is pre-Garcia, with FrOnce molded on the housing and with a spring-loaded handle. My reel has no serial number but is stamped with what appears to be either a "1" or an "L". I have not been able to remove the spool spindle to observe the type of lock nut on the axle. The attributes of my reel do not match up entirely to the version descriptions on the Museum website. Any assistance from the Mitchell folks is greatly appreciated!

UPDATE: Information courtesy of Chris Shannon from the Vintage Garcia Mitchell Spinning Reels Facebook group: One of the first of the 1st Version Mitchell 308’s from 1959. This reel has the correct spring-loaded handle with the smooth black handle knob, the correct bail for the period, FR0NCE molded into the body, and the slotted spanner nut for the rotor cup. It has been assessed that the first couple of hundred of the 1st Version 308’s did not have a serial number stamped on the reel seat. They are not common.

I am also adding a photo that shows the slotted round spanner nut. Later versions had a hex nut.

Pretty cool reel to find in the field in east Texas!!

Bryce Tawney
The Reel Packrat

Packing these reels into my nest hole: Talbot, Milam, Meek, Horton, Heddon, Wm Shakespeare Jr, and small diameter skeleton fly reels!
don309
Big ORCA Fan

Re: UPDATED: Mitchell 308 Question

Post by don309 »

Chris Is the best, also a friend of mine.