Pfluegers ???

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Pfluegers ???

Post by reelsmith. »

The reel above has a Pflueger looking foot. Its well made, heavy, spins well and has lots of knurling ...even the crank shaft is knurled. Pflueger ?

This fly reel has what looks to me like a Pflueger crank. The sides are not hard rubber ...and I have no idea what they are, other than very shiny. The cap on the back is tiny ...it is way too small for any standard Pflueger, Montague, JVH, etc. reels I have hanging around. I don't think I've ever encountered a cap this small.

The rims are not pinned. The rear rim spins, but is captive. The front one may be glued.

What is up with this one ???

Thanks.

Dean.
Wanted: Kosmic Items, Small Leather Fly Reel Cases, Early Fishing Related Bottles, Fly Reels and Pre-1900 Angling/Casting Medals.

http://www.tackletreasures.com/
RonG
Super Board Poster

Re: Pfluegers ???

Post by RonG »

I'd say you're correct with Pflueger. The caster does have a Pflueger foot and the fly reel has a "Hawkeye" handle.
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

Thanks Ron, for confirming my suspicions.

The fly reel is unlike anything from Pflueger I've seen. The shiny/thin plates, the tiny spool end on the rear, the rims with no pins ...I'm not sure what to make of it. I'm leery of calling it a prototype ...but its anything but normal.

Dean.
Wanted: Kosmic Items, Small Leather Fly Reel Cases, Early Fishing Related Bottles, Fly Reels and Pre-1900 Angling/Casting Medals.

RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

First reel definitely Pflueger
Second-crank looks Pflueger. Other things (jeweled bearing, only two pins to mount click make me think that might be a prototype. In any event, neat little reel!

Bad Bob
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

Thanks Bob.

The back plate looks as seen on a Hawkeye, with two pins holding the click spring. Some Hawkeye's have a similar click switch, but just a bit different. The foot looks Pflueger. I doubt the spool is stock Pflueger as the end is too small for a Pflueger cap. But, it could have been made smaller.

My probably unanswerable question is, did it come from Pflueger, or somebody's basement ?

Dean.

Robin Sayler
Super Board Poster

Post by Robin Sayler »

If i ran across those i would assume they were made by pflueger.
I would like any unusual pflueger casting reels!