Lewis Kovalovsky Garage Sale

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Deepfins791
Advanced Board Poster

Lewis Kovalovsky Garage Sale

Post by Deepfins791 »

About three months ago I contacted Elizabeth Kovalovsky, the 92-year-old widow of Lewis Kovalovsky. Lewis was the youngest of Arthur and Anna’s four children, 9 years younger than Oscar. I met with her on a number of occasions to interview her regarding the family, and she allowed me to video tape our interviews. Although almost 93, Elizabeth remains healthy and sharp as a tack. It was great fun to hear her stories, capture them on video, and learn more about the Kovalovsky family history. Elizabeth actually has the family dining room set that dates back to the 30’s. It was fun to interview her while sitting in the very chairs at the very table the Kovalovsky family sat at.

On a recent visit, she offered to show me the garage. Back in 1995 right after they purchased the home, Lewis moved his entire machine shop into their 3-car garage. I’m not sure what I expected, but when we walked into the garage, I was floored. Lewis was a hoarder, and I mean that in the clinical sense. The garage was packed with stuff, so much so that you could not open the garage doors. Elizabeth, knowing she would one day have to sell the home, presented me with a proposition. She said if I cleaned out the garage, I could throw out what was junk, keep whatever I wanted for myself, try and sell the rest, and split the proceeds with her 50/50. We shook on it, and I was off and running.

It took me four 12-hour days just to remove the junk. Lewis saved EVERYTHING, every scrap of wood and metal, every broken TV set, electric razor, and AM radio that no longer worked, etc. I filled a 40 cubic yard roll-away dumpster with trash. Yes, that’s 40 cubic yards! When I was finally able to open the garage doors, I brought Elizabeth out to show her. She couldn’t believe it. She told me it had been 25 years since those doors had been opened.

But amongst the hoard were some real treasures, including family historic ephemera. Elizabeth had already sold Lewis’ lathes, but all the lathe attachments/tools/dies/jigs were still there. Boxes of reel-making tooling and reel parts, lots of gunsmithing parts/tools/gauges, including cases of unfinished walnut gun stock blanks, finished gun stocks from various mystery firearms, and a variety of gun barrels. Large vintage lathe attachments, such as an indexing machine, lathe turrets, and giant “as big as your head” Cushman lathe chucks. Every imaginable boring and cutting tool, collets, assorted shop equipment, boxes and boxes of every imaginable bearing, gage sets, and drawers full of every variety screw and fastener made. Lewis had 4 Hermes engraving machines, a giant vintage Delta surface grinder, and a vintage bench-mounted T.O. & Son “Knock-Out” surface grinder. Much of this equipment, and many of the hand tools date back to Arthur’s first auto repair shop. It was amazing and humbling to go through Lewis’ shop, looking at all the different machinery and tools, knowing that he knew how to use every piece!

I rented a 10x20 storage unit close to home, and have been slowly moving anything of value into it to sell. For those of you who lamented the fact that the contents of Oscar’s shop were auctioned off without any notice to the reel collecting community, here is your chance to purchase a piece or two of Kovalovsky history. If you are into collecting vintage hand tools, machinery, gunsmithing parts/tools, etc., please PM me, and let me know what you are looking for. Within the next couple weeks, I am going to start marketing the contents on various gun, machinist, and vintage machinery websites, but would love to see some of this stuff go to ORCA members. Remember, half the proceeds go back to Elizabeth to help her in her retirement.

Cheers,
John

KIWI
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Lewis Kovalovsky Garage Sale

Post by KIWI »

Very Cool John !
Jay White
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Jay White »

Awesome John! I did not see any fishing reels or rods? Any at all ?
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

What a thrill that must have been to dig through all the hardware knowing to whom it belonged.
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Post by reeltackle »

Congrats on the find, Lewis was a very cool and talented man. I see some drag housing covers, anything else fishy hiding in that garage?
Ed Pritchard
http://www.AntiqueFishingReels.com
ORCA Charter Member "First Paid Member"
Honorary Life Member

"Reels As Big As Your Head" Always looking for BIG game reels and anything else that might go along.
Deepfins791
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Deepfins791 »

Ed, here is a close-up of those drag housings. The finished one is stamped 1200yrds of #54. The unfinished two are just like Oscar described in Bob Douglas and Larry Lauve's book. They are shaped by drilling a bunch of holes, knocking off the scrap, and filing down the edges, only the edges of these two were never filed. Note also the rolls of unused gears.

Jay, it would be just like you to not be impressed by a massive vintage Delta-Milwaukee tool makers surface grinder and ask about reels! :D Here is a Lewis Kov' special for you. It is bigger than a 16/0 Kov', but not quite as big as an 18/0, features an extendable crank handle and a handle grasp made out of Vesconite. The fit and finish is as good as any Kov' reel I have ever spun the crank on.

Jay White
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Jay White »

WOW! Outstanding. I bet I know where thats going. Congratulations!!
Jay White
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Jay White »

I would take it if you decide you wish to part with it!
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

Pretty cool reel John !!! Nice garage clean out.
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Post by reeltackle »

Flipping killer reel John! Those Kovalovsky men had a keen mind for design and ascetic and like his father and brother, Lewis knew his way around the old machine shop that's for sure. Thanks for sharing.
Ed Pritchard
Honorary Life Member

"Reels As Big As Your Head" Always looking for BIG game reels and anything else that might go along.
Nick in NY
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Nick in NY »

Incredible piece! It's at home... NICE!
Wanted Ultra rare salt water reels including big game as well as unknown rare surf reels!
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

Amazing! I believe you have gone where none of us have gone before. This tells me your book is going to be like none other. I am at a loss for words at this time. The reel is fantastic, the parts need to be cataloged and preserved as a group. I am sure you will do it all justice and give the place in history it deserves. I am deeply impressed with this find. Great job John!!

A 40 yard dumpster!!! That is a serious garbage pail.
mike cass,,, if you can't collect it, it must be food
Deepfins791
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Deepfins791 »

Thanks for the comments, everyone. I have been working at Elizabeth's house in 4-day blocks, 4 days down there, and 3 days at home for a couple of months, now. I am finally making some progress. As I pack boxes, I label the box, record the contents and take pictures. I have uploaded all the pictures to my Dropbox account, which I can easily share with interested parties. Here are links to the two folders full of pictures:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/r7jy22alogjl ... 6dUSa?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/romf7y01hdig ... rDxDa?dl=0

If anyone sees anything they might like out of the Kovalovsky garage, let me know. I am hanging onto all the reel making parts/materials/tooling for a future project.

Attached is a really nice picture of Lewis and his older sister, Nell. Also, a great one of Sir Arthur and the Roman chariot he built to hunt and camp with.

Cheers,
John

40fordflathead
Advanced Board Poster

Post by 40fordflathead »

Just amazing. Thank you.
Bruce
Bruce Harlan
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

I think I found my Xmas project. I am just going to try to figure out what each photo is good for in the reel biz. Amazing stuff.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

Fabulous stuff John. Love the photo of Arthur. That is a massive project you have taken on, but It is good that you did. You are saving so much great history.
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Post by reeltackle »

Amazing trove of stuff, wish there were more reel parts like knobs, feet, pillars, etc.

I gotta ask John, you must have picked up quite a lot of photos of the Kovalovsky family patriarch, Arthur. Are there any pictures of the guy smiling?? In all the photos of him that I have ever seen he has that dour expression on his face. Would love to see a picture of the guy with a reel in his hands and a big smile on his face, have you got one?
Ed Pritchard
Honorary Life Member

Deepfins791
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Deepfins791 »

That's funny, Ed! You are right. There are No pictures of Arthur smiling. I have pictures of him hunting, fishing, camping, family pictures, baby pictures, shop pictures, etc. In all, he looks like a curmudgeon. When I first started going through the photo albums, I purposefully looked for any picture of him smiling. The two attached are the closest I could find. The one with Anna is quite nice. The one with the chicken on his head, well, gotta wonder about that one!

JB

reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Post by reeltackle »

Too funny John. Thanks for posting the photos they are great.
Ed Pritchard
Honorary Life Member

Deepfins791
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Deepfins791 »

Here is a final update on the Kovalovsky garage clean-out. Not only is Elizabeth's garage now empty, but I have sold off all the tools, other than the ones I held back for my own use, and some of the small ones I will sell at a later date. It turned out to be a 4-month job, but was great fun and taught me a lot about machining/vintage tools. Attached are a before and after picture of the garage. The picture of me and Elizabeth standing in her empty garage was taken on her 93rd birthday.

Also, John Elder asked me to put together a display of my Kov' tackle/ephemera for the ORCA convention. My cheapo display cases arrived today, so I started arranging some of the items I found in the garage in them. Mike N started a post on small hand tools, so I thought I would share a few pictures of some of the tools I found in the garage. You'll have to forgive my photography. Tools on a white background with an overhead fluorescent light makes for poor photos, but you'll get the idea. My favorite tools are probably the set of Goodell-Pratt bearing scrapers. Most machinists today would have no idea what these are or what they were used for. I can picture Arthur meticulously hand-scraping a Babbitt bearing he had just cast.

There are also a couple pictures of a few of the reel-making jigs I found. I think I probably found complete sets of jigs for a few of Arthur's reels, including the large heavy jigs used to press spool flanges.

Cheers,
John

Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Wow, just a great historic collection and photographs. Love the tiny adjustable wrench and wooden folding ruler with brass hinges. I really appreciate your having shared all of it here. Thanks.

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

I can't wait for your book.
Stef Duma
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Stef Duma »

Thank you very much this takes me back a bit. The last time I used bearing scrapers was in 1977 when I was sent to rebuild a refrigeration compressor with a 5 foot fly wheel running at about 200rpm. It was in Thika, Kenya and we had requested "thin" bearings as they came in three sizes, thin, normal and thick, you guessed it they sent thick. As they were flown out from London and took two days to arrive, we had no choice the product, passion fruit extract, gradually warming up we had to scrape. I had learnt during my training in 1972 and it was the first time I was called on to actually do it on a job.
It took two of us all night to scrape them down, scrape, Prussian Blue, test, scrape etc. We also had a minor earthquake to content with.
I only ever did it again on two occasions in the 1980's, on a nuclear powered submarine fitted with US made York compressors and an oil refinery again with York compressors.
It is possibly a fading skill these days.
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

Hey John, those are great photos. I'd be pretty cool if you could show one of the reels surrounded by the tools and fixtures used to make that reel.

Also, you and Stef got me interested in understanding what the bearing scrapers are and how to use them.
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

Well done John !

The displays look great.

Elizabeth could not have found a better person to help her out.

Dean.
Wanted: Kosmic Items, Small Leather Fly Reel Cases, Early Fishing Related Bottles, Fly Reels and Pre-1900 Angling/Casting Medals.

http://www.tackletreasures.com/