Is the art of “trading” still alive and well?

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Is the art of “trading” still alive and well?

Post by Mike N »

Let’s assume you have a BF Meek & Sons No. 3 reel that you are willing to trade for a vintage NY ball handle reel.

When contacted by an interested trading partner do you put a cash $ value on your Meek (say $325) and ask the other party where they value their ball handle, also? Do you ever “price the other guy’s horse” first? Is the trade value of a reel greater than its cash value?

Trading always seems a bit awkward, but it is still very popular. Matt W. and I were able to pull off a multi -reel, mega trade last year after some good faith haggling, but I think it helped that we each had a reel or two that the other really wanted.

Any “trading” stories, strategies or protocols would be appreciated.

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Re: Is the art of “trading” still alive and well?

Post by Paul Roberts »

Comes down to "value" being in the eye of the beholder. What is a gap in a collection worth? That would be on an individual basis.

I would expect that monetary value would enter in, so agreed upon valuation and compensation may be appropriate. Always go in with as much info as you can.
ORCA 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

The key is to find that magic place where both of you are equally unhappy!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

john elder wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:43 pm The key is to find that magic place where both of you are equally unhappy!
Ain't that the truth! :jester Well put, JE! :D
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

I think trading is alive and well, but the issue is that you have to have items with similar rarity and values most of the time. It is probable that unless a seller wants cash, you have to offer something of similar rarity. If I want a BF Meek #8 (I do!), it is not likely that a BFM #3 will be in the deal. I have a box of really nice $300 to $800 reels, but I want the rare reels, and I don't think they are going to work with advanced collectors.

Occasionally, something really neat and possibly rare comes up, and you may decide to dip into your "permanent" collection you were never going to sell or trade, and that was the case that Mike and I ended up on. I never thought it would happen, but it did and I am happy but wistful.

Having said that, if a BF Meek Saltwater reel comes up, I have the cash and at least 1 $5000 trader available. If someone values the $5000 reel at $4000, then I will consider it. Much below that, hope they just want cash. I guess it just depends on how bad you want it and how likely it is to come up again in your lifetime.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
Bill Muth
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Muth »

Had a couple successful trades in Milwaukee this year, but not near the magnitude that you guys are discussing. A couple buyers wanted reels that I had in the $100 to $150 range, and they each offered a group of lower end reels that, in aggregate, had about 50% more value than the reel that they were trading for. Nice and easy, both parties were happy.

I have done a few bigger trades over the years. My boxed Horton Meek No. 6 came to me through a three-way trade with a couple astute collectors and close friends - that one hurt because I traded away a couple cherished pieces, but I eventually got the best item that I traded away back into my collection a few years later. I also remember a pretty intricate trade with Henry Caldwell at a show a long time ago. I can't remember exactly what we traded, though I recall a Horton Bristol No. 88 being to focal point. My recollection is that we exchanged about $1,000 worth of reels after two hours of intense but friendly haggling so that I could get that $150 reel into my collection.

You definitely remember the trades more than any cash deals.
Wanted: Horton, Bristol & Meek reels, reel boxes, and catalogs!!!!
Nick in NY
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Nick in NY »

I’d like to think so...in the last couple years I’ve made some great high end trades with some great people! There’s a few well known collectors that I deal with once/twice a year not to mention the other collectors that call from time to time to see if certain pieces are still available. My circle has gotten very small...there’s a few people in the big game community I still deal with and trust...and the guys who visit from time to time. I don’t believe it’ll be what it once was but still alive...
Wanted Ultra rare salt water reels including big game as well as unknown rare surf reels!
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Very interesting posts.

I think it wise to always have a few very rare, fishing-related (but non-reel) items on hand to throw into the mix. Vintage wooden line spools, catalogs, and metal baits are always great items that help put a cherry on top and close a deal that is teetering on the edge...
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

kyreels wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:55 pm
Occasionally, something really neat and possibly rare comes up, and you may decide to dip into your "permanent" collection you were never going to sell or trade, and that was the case that Mike and I ended up on. I never thought it would happen, but it did and I am happy but wistful.
Lol, Matt. The word “wistful” is the perfect descriptor. Kind of like when one of your children goes off to college. You know it is a good thing, but...
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990