Shakespeare Reel Help Needed

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
RonG
Super Board Poster

Shakespeare Reel Help Needed

Post by RonG »

I received this email today. Can anyone help me with the answer to this gentleman's questions about his Shakespeare reels?

Thanks,

Hi Ron, I'm a collector of old multipliers and Im hoping you can give me some info about the numbers that are printed on the foot plates. Can a production year or date be related to it? Im talking about the red and green multipliers from the seventies, 2150 tp 2156 series. And a lot of other reels look very similar if not the same. Do they come from the same factory? For instance I bought a Chuyo 1800 and a DAM 2178. They look identical, and a Winfield 50 looks exactly the same again.

Hoping you can give me some answers.

Kind regards,

Jaap from Ireland.
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Re: Shakespeare Reel Help Needed

Post by wrong99 »

The 2150 series were Noris Shakespeare salt water reels, which were introduced in 1967. I show them in both my German and Canadian Shakespeare catalogs. I only have the catalogs up until 1970, where they were still being offered. They were sold throughout Europe, Canada and Japan, but not in the U.S. I don't know the significance of the numbers on the foot or if Shakespeare supplied reels to DAM and others. It's quite possible. I can supply a catalog scan or two if it helps.
Mark
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Also, my German and Canadian catalogs up to 1970 only show the red examples. So the green reels might have come later? Or ones sent to Japan? Just a guess on my part.
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

Thanks for the help Mark